ELEVEN

Eleanor was ready to drop dead. The preparations for Marjorie's party turned to be more tedious than she thought. Who knew a six year old needed so much stuff? At least she didn't have to worry about food because Theo had hired a catering company. Everyone had been complaining left and right due to the last minute planning. But the one person she really wanted to strangle was Bridget. She wondered where Theo had found the infuriating woman.

Marjorie was a six year old but Bridget wanted to throw a ball for her. With fancy gowns and caviar as if it was her birthday. Eleanor had wanted to punch the woman at least a hundred times for the past two hours. She wouldn't stop yapping about how the party was childish. What did she expect? Marjorie was six years old for Fucks sake. Bridget had even gone to Theo to complain about how Eleanor was making decisions for Marjorie's party when it wasn't her place. Theo had called her into his office and threw his wife out telling her to go find herself someone to keep her busy. Now the woman was sitting in a corner glaring daggers at her. Eleanor stuck her tongue out at her then went back to finishing up the decorations.

She'd decided on a Hello Kitty theme to which Marjorie had jumped up and down in excitement. They invited all her classmates who were given Hello Kitty headbands and bow ties at the door. The whole place was filled with white and pink balloons and flowers. Even the cake had the same colors. The Party guests had arrived and they were waiting for the birthday girl to come down so they could start the celebration. Feeling confident that everything was in place downstairs, she went up to check Marjorie. "Marj? What's taking so long?" Eleanor asked walking in to her room. She was seating on her bed fiddling with her hands. "Marjorie why are you sitting there like that? Your friends are waiting for you downstairs"

"No. Mom said she was going to tell everyone to leave so I could eat my cake alone" she murmured. Eleanor clenched her fists in anger. If today happened to end without Bridget earning herself a broken nose, it would be a miracle. The damn bitch didn't know when to stop.

"Oh come on Marj. Who planned the party?"

"You"

"Who bought you that beautiful dress you're wearing?"

"You" she said wondering where this conversation was heading.

"And who invited all your friends?"

"You"

Eleanor threw her hands up "Then why would your friends leave because your mother said so when she didn't invite them?"

Marjorie stared at her like she was crazy "Because she's my mom. Our teacher said we should listen to our parents"

"In this case I  suggest you don't listen to what your mother says. Like ever"

"But....."

"No buts Marj" Eleanor said pulling off the bed. "Today am the one making the rules. And you will listen to me when I order you to go downstairs and have fun. Okay?"

She giggled nodding "Yes."

"There we go. I want to see that smile plastered on your face all day long. You hear me? Now let's go." Together they went downstairs where the party had already started. Kids were running everywhere with Artie on their heels barking as they went. He also had his own Hello Kitty collar. The next two hours were filled with loud shrills and laughter. Food was thrown everywhere and when the sugar rush calmed down, everyone sat in the living room, looking on as Marjorie opened her gifts. They oohed and aahed at the American girl doll that looked like her, from her father, a girl themed Lego's set from Jason, the music box Eleanor bought her. There was a glow in the dark stars wallpaper for her room, a pink watch, Magna tiles, the list was endless. Eleanor could see the kids getting bored so she pulled out her last surprise.