Chapter 32

Spencer sat in his office chair and wheeled it close to the corner recliner so he could sit close to me, holding my hand as we spoke.

"I haven't figured everything out yet, Lenny, but I'm happy to say that I went ahead and met with my colleague while I was already in the area and should be able to come Friday now. Whoever is behind the disappearances and murders in the other town is very skilled. It must be the Cavaliers, but for some reason, there were things I couldn't quite reconcile with their usual habits and indicators. It could be a Cavalier gone rogue. I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure it out, like I said." I smiled at him and nodded, still so happy to be with him.

He got a nervous look on his face as he continued, "We really need to finish our conversation we started Sunday evening, but it's something that needs more time than just before class. I want to tell you everything about me, Lenny. Would it be alright if I came by your cottage tonight so we could talk?" I gave him a huge smile and laughed.

"You know I would love to be with you, Spencer. I've missed you so much these last few days; I can't even describe it!" He looked so pleased to hear it too. He gave a breathy laugh and smiled at me again. We just looked in each other's eyes, enjoying being reunited. His cellphone ringing cut the quiet.

And suddenly, I stiffened with dread—Wednesday morning. I leaned away from the phone ringing on his desk. I could see the tension in him as my anxious eyes met his. He drew in a breath and pushed his chair back to this desk, reaching for the phone. I saw him hesitate for a split second, but then he answered the phone, bringing it to his ear.

He stared down at his desk as he listened to whoever was on the other end of the line. After a few seconds, his eyes raised to meet mine, appearing absolutely haunted. I had never seen a look like that on him before, and it was disturbing. My vision had given me nothing about what the phone call would be about, only that it would upset him. And he was.

************

Spencer closed his eyes after looking up at Lenny. His colleague ended the call on the other end of the line, and Spencer dropped the phone from his face. He took a moment to steady himself before he opened his eyes to look at Lenny. She had known. She had been right. He was going to have to leave again. She was worried, looking to him for answers.

"Lenny, I have to go back to that town again, right after classes are over this afternoon. I'm so sorry. It seems I'm going to miss tomorrow night's show after all."

"It doesn't matter if you miss it, it's ok. What's really upsetting you?" I knew there was something more. That haunted look had not been about missing a silly performance.

He took a breath before plunging ahead, saying, "Your vision. A wolf went missing last night and hasn't been seen since. I have to go help look for him. I must see what else I can discover about the attacker." A frustrated sound came out of him as he rubbed his hands over his face. "I'm sorry, Lenny, I guess I won't be coming over tonight either."

"It's ok, Spencer. Really. We can talk this weekend, ok? I'll set aside the weekend for us to spend together, discussing whatever you need to." He heaved a heavy sigh and nodded, accepting my words.

***********

He was so disappointed. I stood up and came to him, moving in-between his legs, hugging his head to my stomach. He sighed in disappointment and comfort at my closeness, wrapping his arms around my thighs and snuggling up against me. I gently caressed his brow, sweeping his hair to the side, stroking him lightly over and over, trying to comfort him. I saw his eyes drift close at my touch.

I let him rest against me for a minute, then whispered, "I love you, Spencer." He sighed again and turned his head to look up into my face. His hands traveled up my body to my waist to hold me there while he looked at me. His striking eyes were soft pools of liquid gold as they looked at me with love.