I take the step up onto the slab off the raised concrete in front of the door. I take a step forward but then take a half a step back. I lift my hand up and decide to open the door. When I reach for the knob I lose my balance as the front door opens at the same time. Fortunately, that someone catches me before I smash my face on that same slab. My cheeks redden as I grip his arms tightly. I cannot believe that just happened. So fucking embarrassing.

I'm pulled from my own head when he lifts me back into a standing position and looks me in the eye. "You okay there?"

Fuck. It had to be Parker. Why is the universe so against something happening between us? I think it would be pretty fucking great if I do say so myself. I slowly nod but avoid eye contact with him. I don't think he notices because he grabs my hand and starts pulling me into the party.

"Great. Now let's get you something to drink, birthday girl."

I know I just told him this morning that it's my birthday, but what reason would he have to store that information unless he was interested? I can't help the giddy feeling deep in my belly or the smile that I can't wipe off my face. I turn my head slightly to see if Kyle is following us and I'm surprised to see her right behind us. Back when we were in high school she usually went off and did her own thing when we went to parties.

He stops in the kitchen and waves his arm in front of the wide array of beverages on the island. Holy shit. These guys know how to step it up. Even though we went to a few of the rich kids' parties in high school they never were this extensive with the alcohol. I'm impressed. "Ladies? What can I get you to drink?"

Kyle steps in front of me and shakes her water bottle in his face. "I'm drinking a water and Erika will be drinking what I make her."

Why does she have to embarrass me like that? This is Parker, not some random dude. "Kyle—"

He interrupts me before I get the chance to berate her. "No, it's okay. She's just looking out for you. I get it and completely respect it."

"You do?" I ask as my jaw hits the floor. That ought to earn him a few points with my bestie since he's agreeing with her. Can he be any more swoon-worthy?

He nods and a wide grin spreads on his face. "Absolutely."

His ocean blue eyes are twinkling and his dimples are showing. I'm so tempted to reach up and slam his mouth on my own, but I'm not sure if he would go for something like that. Seeing as I just stepped foot in the door less than five minutes ago. There has to be some sort of etiquette about that, right?

"Here." Kyle shoves a red Solo cup in my hand with a mystery beverage in it.

"What's in here?" I bring it my nose and take a small whiff. Proceeding to burn off any nose hairs I had before. I hold the cup away from my face and choke on all the fumes. "Holy shit. Are you trying to kill me?"

"Take a drink, I swear it doesn't taste as strong as it smells."

I'm waiting for her to start laughing or crack a smile. There's no way this drink isn't potent. Either way I bring the cup back up to my mouth and take a small drink. Surprisingly she's right and it slides smoothly down the back of my throat.

"Mmm, that's delicious. What is it?"

When she doesn't answer me, I turn to ask her again but she's preoccupied with some other frat boy. So much for her being attached at my hip. I almost laugh at her ridiculousness. She was so adamant about staying by my side and she's already off with her inevitable hook up for the night. I turn back around. At least I've got Parker to keep me company. I take another drink and smile up at him over the top of my cup. He winks at me and my belly tingles. This is definitely going to be a good night.

***

I didn't think I had that much to drink. I stumble slightly and Parker wraps his arm around my waist and holds me up. "Whoa there, babe. You okay?"

I nod my head slightly but it feels like my head is going to roll right off my neck every time I move it. Maybe I'm not as okay as I thought I was. My mouth is beyond dry and open my mouth to let him know that when my back hits the wall behind me. Ouch. Before I get the chance to say anything his lips are pressed against mine and his tongue is forcing its way into my mouth.

No. This isn't how it was supposed to happen between us. I don't want to be drunk when he kisses me for the first time. I bring my hands up to his chest to push him away but they fall limply at my side. What is going on with me? I only had two drinks. After I finished the drink Kyle gave me, Parker very kindly got me a Malibu and Coke. But that's all I've had all night. I can't be this drunk right now.

My head lolls to the side and my legs give out. I'm so tired. Why am I so tired? I close my eyes for one second and the floor drops out from beneath me. Or, I'm removed from it? All I know is one minute I'm pressed against the wall and now I'm moving, but I can't feel the ground beneath me. I'm jostled as Parker starts walking up the stairs with me in his arms. He had more to drink than I did. Shouldn't he be sluggish like me? Stupid guys and being able to hold their alcohol better.

He shifts me in his arms sloshing around all the beer in my belly. My throat becomes acidic but fortunately nothing comes up and spews from my mouth. The last thing I want is to ruin this night by puking on Parker. He stops in front of a door and jiggles the knob before pushing it open. When he closes the door behind us we're smothered in darkness. He drops me from his arms and a bounce in the air.

Oh, a nice soft bed. Maybe we're going to take a nap now? Sleep sounds so good right now. My eyes flutter close as I curl into the pillow behind me. Mmm Parker is so nice.I wonder if he's going to be my boyfriend now?

***

The crust gathered in the corners of my eyes makes it almost impossible to pry them open and when I do, I instantly regret it. The sliding light shining in from the windows causes me extensive pain. I instantly shut my eyes...but wait, this isn't my room. I regretfully open my eyes again and study my mysterious surroundings. I'm sleeping in a bed alone but I have no idea where I am. The party from last night comes rushing back to me. How much did I have to drink last night?

Slowly I sit up and my entire body screams out in agony. I feel like a fucking freight train ran me over. This is beyond any hangover I've ever had before. As I slide the blankets off my body I gasp in shock. My bottom half is completely naked and I can't help the shakes that start up. This can't be happening. I need to get out of here and I need to get out of here now.

My body moves on autopilot once I find my skirt but unfortunately I don't locate my underwear. I creak the bedroom door open and quietly walk down the stairs. There are people scattered in the living room, all passed out, and I open the door and start walking down the street. It's less than a mile to Kyle's and my apartment and I force myself to get there. I refuse to let the threatening tears to fall and I hold my head up high as I continue to our apartment.

It isn't until I open our front door and my best friend asks me, "Are you okay?" that I allow them to flood out.