Female Solo Traveler? That's Me

My experience as a Solo female traveler can be daunting, but it shouldn't be! Traveling on your own can be an amazing experience. After all, you're your own boss, and the only person you need to worry about is yourself. Sure... I had the odd nervous moment, which is natural. It's good to feel a bit scared, as long as you deal with your worries by staying informed. I got advice from books and this wonderful website of course! It's better than being blasé and wandering into danger. That said, there's no point staying awake at night worrying, being so paranoid it ruins your trip. There is a balance. It seems scary, but the media exaggerate horror stories. You never hear on the news that thousands of women backpacked around the world safely. You could get mugged or beaten up in your hometown on a Friday night. Just Kidding...It's possible. Ok, I'll stop now. My parents didn't love the idea at first, but I think they worried more about the career issue, that I'd bum around for the next five years and ruin my CV, and how would I raise the money to go. Once they realized I was determined to go and had thought it through – and most importantly – wasn't expecting them to fund the trip, they relaxed. I'm sure all parents worry, but if they love you they won't want to limit you. My mom did have the odd moment of parental concern. But as long as you show you've thought about safety issues and are responsible. My mom is quite cool, and has been inspired by my travels; she wants to travel the world in her retirement! I've seen loads and loads of female travelers. You'd think you'll be the only one, but there are so many solo female travelers. Don't worry about being the only loner among loads of groups and couples, you won't! I made some great girlfriends from Japan and the US as well as the UK, many of whom I'm still in touch with, all who were all traveling alone. I made many friends. Travelers are often a lot friendlier and more open than at home, especially solo ones. Everyone wants to make friends. I think solo female travelers are more approachable; if you're with friends or in a couple people might tend to leave you to yourself a bit more. You will get chatting in hostels, in your dorm room or just go to the communal areas and sit there looking like you want to meet people! People will often come and talk to you, if not, pick someone who you'd like to get to know and go and talk to them. Just say hello and ask where they've been, where they're going, how long they've been around and if they'd recommend anything cool to do or see. I've never worn a fake wedding ring to detract attention. I considered it for the Asia part of my trip but decided not to bother. People in South East Asia are curious and don't think twice about asking personal questions! If you need to, you can always invent a boyfriend, which I did on occasions. However, you will need a good story about where they are – Asians don't do anything alone. You'll also be asked their name, how long you've been together and their shoe size! However, you don't always need to lie; say you're traveling alone if you feel comfortable doing so. It's not always a problem. It might even inspire local girls to travel! Wearing a fake wedding ring might be a good plan in strict Muslim countries, where it would be a problem traveling alone or in an unmarried couple. I went to Oz, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. Each one was different and had different challenges. Indonesia was the least developed, but in many ways, I felt safer than in Thailand. Thailand is more westernized and geared towards tourists and there is more crime. However, I don't think I could describe one as the hardest. My top tips for solo female travelers are: Don't be too hard on yourself while on the road. Travel is hard work. The occasional treat like a night in a nice hotel, a trip to the cinema, a shopping trip or a nice meal will recharge your batteries. As long as you stick to your budget 90% of the time, it shouldn't do too much damage. Make the most of your trip; you'll only get one chance to travel the world. Don't be limited by being a solo female traveler. You can do anything you want to. Be friendly and open... but not too much so – take your time getting to know people, until you're certain you can trust them. It's a hard balance to get right, but can be learned. Do the trip your way. Don't let anyone tell you what makes a worthwhile gap year, they're all worthwhile! Take your straighteners if you want to – as long as you have room in your pack! It's your trip, no one else's! Do a first trial pack at least a week before you go. You may well end up in tears as you find you can't do your pack up – or can't lift it! You'll need to do several re-packs and re-thinks. Be strict, but allow yourself one or two luxuries. And yes, it is a good idea to leave space in your pack... for shopping purposes! And it relieves a lot of stress not to struggle to do up your pack each time you move on. My favorite thing about being a solo female traveler is you're the boss. You can get up when you want and stay in each place as long as you want. If you want to see something, you see it; if you want to spend a lazy day on the beach, you can do that. You don't have to take anyone else into consideration.