One

It had been an hour since I had gotten the call that changed my life. It still hadn't hit completely hit me yet, probably because it was only 3 a.m. I wasn't crying like everyone was expecting me to be doing. I was just staring out of the window, watching the cars passing as we drove to the hospitial.

"Where are we?" my six year old sister asked, finally waking up.

"We're driving to the hospitial. You need to go back to sleep, Elizabeth," my dad told her.

"Why are we going to the hospitial?" she asked.

"Shawn was in a wreck," my mom said simply.

"Arden's boyfriend Shawn?" she asked.

"Yes," mom said.

As the conversation between Elizabeth and my parents went on my breathing got faster and so did my heart. Now that I was hearing it being spoken to a six year old it seemed more real. But it couldn't be, I was going to wake up and everything was going to be fine. Shawn would fine.

As we pulled into the hospital parking lot I was begging to wake up. I counted my fingers.

1. 2... 6. 7.. 10. I had ten fingers. I read somewhere that in dreams you have extra fingers.

So this was real.

We walked inside and everyone was staring at us. And why wouldn't they? I was wearing donut pajama pants, a black shirt, black Uggs, and since it was December, in Canada, I had on a coat. My hair was in a braid, which was now loose from 'sleeping'. I hadn't actually been asleep when I had gotten the call from Shawn's mom. I had been awake watching Netflix, as normal.

My parents and Elizabeth were also in their pajamas and coats and had bed head.

"Arden," I heard a familiar woman's voice say. My mind was thinking too much to tell who the voice belonged to. I looked over and saw Shawn's mom. The wreck had been Shawn and his dad, his mom and Aaliyah had been home.

Her eyes were red and puffy, so I knew she was just crying. She stood up from where she was sitting and I walked over to her and hugged her.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"Me too," she replied, her voice cracking a little. Hearing her choke up made tears well to my eyes, it seemed more real than ever right now.

"How are they?" I asked.

"They're both in surgery right now, but Shawn," she paused, almost bursting into tears. "Shawn hasn't woken up since they found him, but he's still breathing."

I just nodded, taking it all in. I sat down next to Aaliyah, who was staring at me.

"How are you?" she asked me.

"I don't know. How are you?"

"I don't know either," she said and I nodded.

***

It has now been six hours since I got the call from Shawn's mom telling me had been in a wreck and I hadn't gotten one minute of sleep. I have been staring at the hospital walls most of the night, occasionally looking at my phone. Since Shawn was a 'vine star' and I was his girlfriend I had been getting notifications from Twitter and Instagram all night. I guess it spread like wildfire.

I hadn't even realized that Mrs. Mendes had gone to see her husband at some point in the night. I just remember looking over to where she had been and not seeing her. My parents and Liz had fallen asleep in the chairs across from Aallyah and me. I looked over at Aaliyah and saw she was starting to doze off. I was wide awake, since I already had a little bit of Insomnia this just made it worse.

I looked at my phone to see it was nearly 7:30 a.m. Most people would just be getting awake right now and doing their normal everyday routine, and I wished I was one of those people. My parents had let me skip school today since today was the last day before winter break.

"Arden," Mrs. Mendes said, putting a hand on my shoulder, causing me to jump. "Shawn still hasn't woken up but you can come see him."

I stood up and followed her to Shawn's room.

"I'll leave you alone," she said and closed the door.

I looked at him and felt tears come to my eyes. I looked at my hands and counted my fingers again, maybe there would be more this time.

Fuck. I thought. There were still only ten fingers. I felt tears come to my eyes. I took a few steps towards him.

He had bruises all over his face and had a cast on one of his arms. He had IV's in the other arm and a clear fluid was in the IV bag. The only sounds in the room were the heart monitor and my feet as I took steps.

When I got close enough I grabbed his hand that wasn't in the cast.

"Hey. It's Arden," was all I could get out at the moment. A tear rolled down my cheek and I took a deep breath. "You probably can't hear me right now but I'm going to talk anyway."

I looked at him to see if he showed any sign of being able to hear me but he hadn't moved.

"I love you and I need you to wake up. We all need you to wake up," there were more tears and I couldn't control it anymore. "We need you to wake up." I could hardly talk anymore and I wouldn't be able to talk much longer.

"Please," was all I could get out before deciding I needed to leave.

***

Hey guys! Thanks for reading.

I don't know how good or bad this was so please tell me what you think.

Thanks again

-Rianamays

Stay With Me (Shawn Mendes)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें