Chapter 1

Hello and welcome to my new fanfiction! This one has a lot of warnings that are listed in the description so please make sure you read those before starting this book. I hope you enjoy this because it's focused around my favourite ego (Chase, obviously) and it was quite enjoyable to write!

(Title and the lyrics in the description are from the song Hear Me by Imagine Dragons. An absolutely amazing song so go give it a listen if you feel like it :P)

Chase's hands clenched into fists as he hit them all but gently into his head. He was sitting on the cold, tiled floor of one of the bathrooms he shared with his wife, Stacy. His two children were in their bedrooms, fast asleep and dreaming sweet dreams. There was Sammy, an erratic seven-year-old who could talk for the entire country and Alex, a 14-year-old amidst his grumpiest years who loved his own company in his bedroom. He was loud, just like his father, and had a tendency to scream at his video games whenever he was losing a battle or stuck somewhere. His wife was probably sleeping too, fantasising about how she would next mess with her husband's head. That was the thing: she wasn't really the best wife in the world. See, she enjoyed watching Chase suffer.

Whether it was making him cry after her hours of yelling or rendering him a trembling mess after particularly terrible fights, she enjoyed seeing him in pain. Never did she show that side of her in front of the children though. She was well aware that Chase would do anything to protect the children's innocence and prevent them from seeing the side of Stacy he saw when he was alone with her.

"Fuck." Chase muttered as he exhaled and pulled his knees up to his chest. He hugged them tightly, squeezing his eyes shut. He was trying his hardest not to let out a sob but he was damn near close as his erratic inhales and exhales shook his body. Stacy would hear him if he cried too loudly and, if she did, he'd never hear the end of it. Stacy would use it as another excuse. Another excuse to make his life hell for as long as he stayed with her. He didn't have the choice to leave either because the kids practically had tied him to the relationship. There was also a threat, silent but sure as hell implied, that Stacy would move onto their precious kids if he left.

His eyes flickered open again but that just meant there was more space for tears to free themselves onto his pale cheeks. His face had lost a lot of colour, as well as life, ever since he married and had children way too young. He had been a naive eighteen-year-old, unsure and not ready to make the decision of what to dedicate the rest of his life to. He was young, stupid and most importantly, dumbly in love. His children, although unpredicted, were the loves of his life. He never regretted having them. Sammy was a bundle of joy who loved to dance and act. She was dramatic but in a way that was absolutely adorable and perfect for the stage. She loved being the centre of attention and her mother certainly enjoyed spoiling her to the point where Alex would feel slightly less loved at some points. Alex much preferred to hide in the shadows and be a bit more behind the scenes. He was intrigued with the concept of psychology and, when he wasn't playing video games, he had his head buried in a book that discussed mental health and other psychological topics.

Chase loved them. They were the only reasons he hadn't fled the toxic relationship. Even a single tear on their cheeks would break his heart and he only wanted the best for them. He wanted to listen to Alex talk for hours about psychology and he wanted to be in the front row of a musical where Sammy played the lead. Chase scrambled up to his feet when someone knocked on the bathroom door. He frantically rubbed at his tear-filled eyes, just making them all the more red and it all the more obvious he had been crying.

"Hold on a second..." He said, flushing the toilet just to make it a little less obvious about what he had been doing. He opened the door and kept his head facing the floor as he passed his son.

"Night, Dad." Alex muttered as he headed into the bathroom.

"Goodnight."

-

"Chase," Stacy started, walking up behind her husband and wrapping her arms around his thin frame. He was probably slightly thinner than the average man since there were occasions where Stacy would refuse him a meal if he did something she really disliked. "Chase!" Stacy repeated, but louder. Chase jumped violently, almost dropping the plate he had been in the middle of washing. "Did I scare you?"

"A little, yeah." Chase laughed, trying to play it cool despite how fast his heart was beating inside his chest. He was ashamed to admit how much his body was shaking after the small scare. Stacy was quick to notice though and that was one of the features of the woman that Chase had grown to hate. At first it had been admirable and Chase had found it adorable but now it just gave away his every emotion.

"I thought you were a man."

"Last time I checked."

"Haha, very funny," Stacy eyed Chase closely as he washed the plate in his hands with a sponge. The room went silent as he turned on the tap and washed away the soap suds. Chase could feel each of his movements get stiffer and stiffer. Eventually, he just felt like a robot, made of metal and in need of some oil to loosen up his joints. It was the fear, controlling his every thought. "Seriously though. I bet you wouldn't see Marvin jumping at something so badly like that."

Chase put the plate in the drying stack and pushed Stacy back a little to free himself from her grip. He didn't say a word so Stacy spoke up again, "You're only upset because you know it's the truth. Marvin is more of a man than you and he's a literal fairy."

"Don't talk about him like that, Stacy." Warning filled Chase's tone. It was the most authoritative he had tried to be in a long time. Marvin was one of Chase's best friends. A soft spot for the man really. He was a magician that sometimes sold out shows but more often than not he didn't. Chase used to be his number one supporter before the children. They had drifted apart and, although Chase still saw him every so often, they weren't as close and probably never would be again. Marvin liked to wear a cat mask and frolic around on a stage and Stacy often looked down on him because of that. Marvin was also openly pansexual which Stacy strongly disapproved of, hence the derogatory name. Before Chase could say any more to defend his friend, Sammy entered the room with a tear stained face.

"Mummy, Alex took my book! Make him give it back!" Sammy cried, running up to her mum's side and hugging her. Stacy yelled her son's name before stomping into the living room with Chase in tow. Sure enough, Alex was sitting on the sofa with Sammy's book in his hands.

"Alex, give the book back." Stacy said in that tone that let you know saying 'no' wasn't even an option. Alex glanced at Chase whilst Sammy stayed glued to her mum's side.

"Dad?" Alex dared, watching as Chase's eyes widened and Stacy turned to glare at him.

"Listen to your mother."

"It wasn't fun anyway." Alex muttered, chucking the book in Sammy's general direction. She grinned and grabbed it from where it had fallen on the floor.