Part 1

Louise pushed aside another branch and stepped through the gap. She saw an overturned car resting between two trees and adjusted her route to avoid it.

It was early, but the sun was already fierce. The forest provided good cover but her skin was still tender from where it had burned before. She shifted her pack, adjusted her scarf and pulled down the sleeves of her t-shirt. Next time she saw a shop, she would look for aloe and sun screen. Maybe she would get lucky and find somewhere that hadn't already been looted so she could pick up some new boots as well; hers were coming apart at the seems.

When she reached the road she stopped and leaned against the hillside to catch her breath. She opened her pack and took out a plastic tub and spoon. She ate cold beans then took out her water bottle. There was less than half left. She drank sparingly then repacked her bag. No sense in hanging around if she needed water. She started walking again.

Louise couldn't remember the last time she'd spent more than a few days in the same place. It was probably before everything had changed, back when Trevor had been aound to tell her what to do and where to go. Since everyone she knew had died, she hadn't wanted to stop anywhere for longer than it took to refill her canteen and restock her food supplies.

How long had it been since everything had changed? Sometimes it only seemed like weeks, other times it seeed like decades. She guessed it was somewhere between, but the days all blended into one another now. She couldn't even remember the last time she'd spoken aloud, to herself or anyone else.

The day wore on and she still couldn't see the bottom of the hill. What little sky she could see through the overhanging trees was red and menacing. She kept moving, despite how weary she felt. She reasoned that the risk of tripping and falling to her death was balanced by the risk of sitting down and not being able to get up and dying of thirst. At least a fall would be quick.

In a matter of minutes the sun was gone and the light of the moon was not enough to see by. She stumbled clumsily through the fallen leaves, waving her arms around like a crazy lady in an effort to avoid walking into a tree.

This is stupid, she thought. She should find somewhere to rest for the night, she might walk straight past water and never know it. What made her think she could find anything in the dark?

It was impossible to stop now, of course. There would be no way of knowing if she was somewhere safe, or if she was at even greater risk. Better to keep moving and hope for a miracle, although everything in her life so far had taught her that there was no such thing.

She kept moving anyway, assuming she survived untilmorning, she would at least be nearer the bottom of the hill, and thatwas her best hope of finding water.