Diary Entry (Page Two)

April 17

As I am sitting here and writing this, I am overwhelmed with different emotions: sadness, anger, and confusion. I think that my dear Julian is with another woman!

Just a few moments ago, I was passing by his bed chambers when I heard a voice, other than his own, speaking. Being the eavesdropper I am, I tried my best to listen in on this conversation, but only heard a third of it.

“Thank you for doing this for me,” I heard from Julian.

“You’re most certainly welcome, doll. I am more than happy to do this for you. Does the princess know anything about this? I wouldn’t want to…”

“No! No, I don’t think she is suspecting anything, yet,” I put my hand over my mouth to keep from gasping too loud. The, I turned around and ran towards my room. I opened both of my doors with full force and began to panic. Maybe I didn’t hear correctly or maybe he has a sister I don’t know about?

 I sat down on the edge on my bed and clenched my fists.

“Okay, Anneliese, you need to calm down. You can’t overreact.” I did not and do not know what to do, so I just decided to go get some fresh air.

Before I could even get my cloak, I heard my mother calling for me,

“Darling, are you in here?”  My head jerked up and I wiped my face from the few tears that escaped. I stood up and straightened my dress. If she saw me like that she would ask questions…and I couldn’t have that.

“Uh, yes, Mother. I’m in here!” I called out. (I guess I left the doors open when I stormed in.) She walked in at a fast pace with a pained expression on her face.

“Mother, are you alright? What happened?” I asked.

“I assure you, I am fine. My dear, I need you to follow me into your father’s old study room.”

“But, I thought I wasn’t allowed in there,” Ever since Papa died, I wasn’t permitted to be in his study.

“Yes, yes, I know. Just forget the rule for now. There is something I have to give you. It’s something your father gave to me to give to you when… when…” She stopped and gestured for me to follow her.

The entire walk was silent only interrupted with the sounds of our heels on the tiled floors. The entire time I didn’t know what to think, what to say, what to do… We finally reached the door to the old study and I started to cry. Mother didn’t turn around; she continued to walk and picked up an envelope that was already opened.

“Here, this was from Papa.” My shaky hands took the envelope and extracted the letter. I brought the letter to my face and inhaled…it still had his comforting scent. I slowly began to sit down to prepare myself. This is what the letter read:

My Darling Anneliese,

I fear that these next few days will be my last. I cannot help but think of you, my love. I will certainly miss our story-telling at night, the way we tell of our fantasies and our picnics out in the castle gardens. I hope you will remember me by these good memories that I cherish.

My last thoughts and the last thing I will picture will be of you, darling. I cannot say that I am content with going home at this time, but whatever the Lord wants, so be it.

I write this letter for two reasons, one: to tell you that when you are much older you will have to marry someone. (Either for the sake of the kingdom or for love). Whatever the case may be, as long as you think I will approve and that he will take care of you as much as your mother and I have, or better, I give you my blessing to marry him.

The next thing I would like to tell you through this letter is that no matter what anyone says, I do not blame you for my illness, or for my inevitable death.

Before I end this letter, I want you to know is that I will always be with you, even if I am long gone from this world. You will forevermore be my little girl.

Love always, Papa

I put the letter down and began to cry. In fact, I sobbed. I stood back up and raced back to my room. On the way, I blindly ran into Julian’s hard chest.

“A-Anneliese! What’s wrong?” At that point, I snapped.

“How can I marry someone who doesn’t even love me?” Julian looked bewildered. Like he didn’t know what I meant.

“Wh-wha?” I pushed away from his grip and stormed off once more.

And now I sit here writing what had happened. I think I hear someone coming. I will write soon.