Chapter 14 ➺ Paisley

After the movie was over, I walked Harry to the door, but of course, we didn't get out without running into Hattie.

"Hello." she said, meeting us in the entryway.

"Hi." Harry said nervously. It's funny, he never was usually nervous or timid, but you put a member of my family in front of him and his confidence practically melts away.

"Hattie, this is Harry. Harry, this is my cousin Hattie."

"Nice to meet you, Harry." Hattie gave a little nod and a smile.

"You too. I've seen you around school, I think."

"Yeah, I'm graduating this year. Next week, actually."

"Cool."

"Yeah. Well, I'm sure I'll see you around." Hattie said, waving and exiting into the kitchen.

"Bye." Paisley said.

"I can tell you guys are friends." Harry said, smirking to me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"You're just very alike."

"People don't have to be similar to be friends, Harry." I said, opening the front door for him.

"I guess you're right, because we're nothing alike." Harry said.

I just shook my head as he walked down the driveway, getting in his car.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I said from the doorway.

"Bright and early." Harry smiled, his dimples popping.

With that, I closed the door and was almost up the stairs to my bedroom, when my mom's voice rang through the house.

"Paisley!" She yelled.

"Huh?"

"Come down here." I should've known she was going to have something to say about this. This is precisely why I didn't tell her sooner.

I walked into the kitchen to see my mother standing over the sink doing dishes and Aunt Kara sitting at the kitchen table.

"Yes?" I asked, standing near the doorway. Maybe if I don't sit, she'll know there is no room for discussion here.

"I just wanted to talk to you about your...new friend." She said carefully, as if choosing her words more hesitantly would deliver the blow any less painful. I knew from the start she would probably not be okay with this. But she just doesn't see people like I do. She's too judgemental without even knowing it.

"What is there to talk about? We're friends."

"But...why?" She asked, as if it was the craziest idea to believe.

"Because, we are." I answered. She didn't need to know all the miniscule details about what brought Harry and I together.

"But, Paisley, don't you remember what he did to you?" I laughed at the thought.

"How could I forget, mom. I've got scars staring back at me everytime I look in the mirror. I'm at the hospital every week for lung treatment. I can't go up the stairs without getting short of breath. Believe me, I haven't forgotten. That doesn't mean I can't forgive." She just stared at me as if she couldn't believe what I was saying.

"But, why would you want to be friends with someone like...him?" She asked, and the way she said it made me want to be sick. We couldn't be more different in the way we view the world. My aunt Kara just sat there like she didn't want to get involoved, and I didn't blame her.