"Pardon me, Mademoiselle. I wasn't watching where I was going." The man said. I looked up to and my eyes met with blue eyes that sparkled like the sun hitting the ocean, and a head of hair that was golden like a field of wheat.

"That's quite alright" I smiled, and looked down tucking a strand of hair behind me ear.

"If you'll excuse me" The man said quickly turning away and disappearing into the crowd. Who was that man? I continued on to the dress shop, my thoughts swirling of the man in red. This feeling I had inside of me, it was something I had never felt before. My stomach felt like it could fly away and my step suddenly became lighter.

"Ah, Mademoiselle Valerie! Your mother said I would be expecting you today!" The tailor said as he stood up from his sewing machine. "I have chosen some gorgeous dresses for you! I think this emerald green one will compliment your eyes wonderfully" He said as he pulled a dress off the rack. I looked at it, and smiled.

"It's beautiful Monsieur, but I don't think that it's the one for me." I smiled.

"Alright! How about this violet one?" He said as he pulled another dress off the rack. I shook my head again. I looked around the shop as the tailor went to get a few more dresses. From across the room I spotted a dress that was as red as field of roses hanging on the back wall.

"That one, the red one" I smiled widely as I pointed towards the dress. The tailor looked behind him and smiled widely with me.

"A wonderful choice! I will package that up for you." He said before walking over to grab the dress and placing it in a box for me so it was easier to carry home.

Later that evening I was in my room getting ready for the party. One of the ladies in waiting had helped me pin up my hair into an elegant up do with curls hanging loose here and there to frame my face. She helped me into my dress and then left me to be alone while the guests arrived. I had to convince myself to go down to the ballroom where the party was being held. I always felt like I was drowning at these things, people talking about nothing but politics and how great the noble families were. I finally worked up the courage and descended the staircase. I made my way through the crowd, being stopped every few feet so people could talk to me about the usual, or to tell me how perfect I would be for their sons or grandsons. Very quickly into the event I had that feeling, my chest became heavy and I had that feeling of drowning. I excused myself from the woman I was talking to and walked over the one of the many people walking around with Glasses of wine. I quickly grabbed one off a tray as a man walked by me and quickly downed it. All of a sudden, my mother was at my side.

"Valerie!" She said through gritted teeth. "Ladies sip their wine! They do not drink it all at once." She scolded me like a child and walked away. I rolled my eyes and grabbed another glass of wine and doing the same as the one before.

"Since when did you drink wine?" I heard someone say behind me. I turned to see non-other than Marius Pontmercy. I squealed with delight as I set the empty glass down and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"MARIUS! I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH!" I said hugging him tightly.

"You too Valerie." He said as we pulled apart.

"When did you get back! Why didn't you write me to tell me you were coming home?" I said quickly and Marius just chuckled.

"I just got back a few weeks ago, and I wanted to surprise you." He smiled at me.

"Well it worked! How long will you be staying? I want to know how much time I have to spend with my best friend." I said.

"Well, I actually moved back here to go to law school. So, I'm staying for good." He said scratching the back of his neck as he waited for my response.

"This is wonderful news! I can finally have my friend back!" We stood around and talked about everything we had missed about each other's lives, Marius filled me in one everything at school and how he had met a wonderful group of friends.

"I'm actually meeting them later tonight, why don't you come with me? I think you would get along with them quite well." He smiled at me.

"Sure, we just have to find a way of sneaking out so my mother doesn't notice." I said looking around the room to see my mother was talking with a group of her friends and was completely caught up in the conversation. I nodded at Marius and he grabbed my hand and we ran out of the house and down the street until we were out of sight, then we began to walk and talked more about our time apart. We walked the winding street of Paris until we reached a narrow street with a crooked building at the end of it. I stopped in my tracks.

"Marius, where are we?" I asked letting go of his arm.

"We are at the Café Musain. This is usually where we meet." He smiled at me. I reluctantly took his arm again and we walked into the café and us a flight of stairs to an open space with tables scattered around and packed with young men around mine and Marius' age. Marius and I stopped at the top of the stairs and he pointed around the room telling me who everyone was.

"And the man over in the corner, that's Enjolras." I followed his gaze to where there was a man with curls as golden as a field of wheat, blue eyes that sparkled like the sun hitting the ocean and a coat of red. It was the man from the market.

A/N Welcome everyone! I hope you enjoyed the chapter! For right now this is just kind of a test chapter to see the response it gets, I am currently working on another story, which I hope to wrap up soon so that I can focus on this one! 

Let me know what you think in the comment! I love hearing from my readers!