1) My Mother the Whore

Start from the beginning

Finally, she nods her head and remove her hands. This is the first time I have ever pleaded my case to this woman. The first time I've ever told her how I feel. Maybe I've gotten through to her. Maybe just maybe today will mark the first day of our new lives. She studies my face a few seconds longer before opening her mouth to say something.

"Do you even have friends Nicca? Unless you're hanging out with your imaginary friends, I think you should make some real ones first before worrying about 'hanging out'." She laughs and pats my head. I hang my head and stare at the floor. I don't even know why I got my hopes up like that.

My mother gets off on this type of thing. She builds you up by giving you false hope then ruthlessly pulls the rug out from under you. She starts her twirling about the room again. Her blue and white flowery dress billows around her as she moves. She's beautiful. I watch her arms rise above her head as slender fingers begin to undo the bun on top of her head. Black her falls and cascades down her back. All the while her body continues to sway to the music in her head She catches me staring and smiles again.

"I love you Nicca," she starts, "if I didn't I would have left you long ago." Left me where is what I want to know but she doesn't say. "You'll like Dominic. He's a really great guy" So great that he cheats on his wife and ignores his kids for a woman who gave him a handy in the dark corner of a smoky bar on their first date. I can just see how awesome this guy is. "You'll like him. Trust me Nicca. Would I lie to you?"

I wanted to scream to the world that yes this woman who stands before me will and have lied to me multiple times. Another fake smile and she continue. "He should be here soon. I cant wait for you to meet him." The sound of three knocks on the door interrupts my mother's one-sided conversation. She glances around the room and takes in all of the unpacked boxes.

The fake smile is plastered on her face. She smooths down her dress and heads to the door. I can make out the muted greetings from where I stand. My mind betrays me with thoughts of the type of man her boyfriend could be. I thrust my hand in my jeans. It's not important I decide, steering my thoughts in another direction.

My fingers begin to caress the familiar feel of my cellphone strap. I can feel my body relaxing as the pent up stress and anxiety of the unknown leaves. My mother is giggling at a joke he tells her. The sound of their footsteps gets louder the closer they get to the room. I should have run when I had the chance. It's too late now. His smile widens when he sees me. My mother's arm is linked with his. Her smile matches his.

"You must be Nicca," he says. "I'm Dominic. Your mother has told me a lot about you. I've wanted to meet you for almost a year now, but you know how this woman is." He tilts his head in the direction of my mother. She laughs and places a playful slap on his arm. I can't figure out if he's lying or not.

My mother never talks to her boyfriends about me. I am insignificant in my mother's world. A minor character that dies in the first five minutes of the movie. Besides, she was with Avery until three months ago. I stare back at this man not knowing what I should say. I contemplate on whether or not I should call him on his lie. He watches me. My body shifts from one foot to the other. Another test of wills I presume.

We examine each other silently. I take in his designer suit, his graying hair, and his blue eyes. He's taller than my 5'8. He's waiting for me to say something but what. Should I lie too? Tell him I've heard about him from my mother. It is Dominic that breaks the silence. My first battle victory. It doesn't feel like I thought maybe because it's not a win over that woman.

"Nova told me you like to paint. I would love to see your work sometimes. I kept that in mind when I bought this house for the two of you." Another smile from him. I stand there dumbfounded. I was wrong.

"Okay," I manage to get out.

He takes my words as an initiative and releases himself from my mother's grip. His hand reaches out and pats my shoulder. "For a second there I thought you were mute. I'm glad it turns out you can. How else would we be able to chat about this and that?" Dominic chuckles at his own joke. "You know Nicca, I have a son and daughter around your age. I hope the three of you become friends."

How can I, the mistress son, become friends with his legitimate children? I give him a skeptical look, he either doesn't see or choose to ignore.

"Anyway," he continues, "you'll be attending the same school as them. Tomorrow is your first day. You should get plenty of rest. The next time I see you tell me how you like your room and art studio. I look forward to seeing your art as well."

I'm being dismissed. It's the first time something like this has happened to me. I stand for a few seconds more, fingering the cellphone strap before turning away and exiting the room. The excited chatter of my mother fades as I open and shut the door to my new room.