Chapter One

TORY

It was cold November and the snow had already begun to fall a week ago. Making it hard for me to see as I walked through the streets of Manchester, England a little past midnight.

My joints hurt and my teeth chattered as I walked as quickly as I could straight ahead. My oversized tote was the only thing that accompanied me on my walk. It was the only thing that I had managed to grab to hold my few belongings when I had made my escape.

The cold was a bed of roses compared to the horrid beatings that I had witnessed. My eyes hurt from the lost tears and the sting of the cold winter air. I was finally free from the cruel hand of my stepfather, my only regret is that I was unable to free my mother from his grasp.

But I would. As soon as I got out of this place and got a job and a house. A job that paid enough to pay off the debt that my mother owed to him, I would free my mother at any cost. But for now I had to find a place to stay so that I wouldn't freeze to death.

I continued walking down the lonely street afterall there was nowhere for me to go. He would find me if I stayed anywhere in town. He would find me and drag me back to the hell hole. The thought of going back fueled my footsteps and I picked up my pace despite the cold.

I had no hopes of finding a taxi at this hour, especially in this weather. So I kept on walking, even though my feet hurt and I could feel the chill in my very bones, even though my fingers refused to uncurl from around the bag strap and even though I had no idea where I was going, I kept on walking.

Perhaps it was due to the wind howling or the sound of my teeth chattering that prevented me from being aware of the car coming behind me. The haze over my eyes prevented me from seeing the lights and it was probably also the reason I didnt realize that I was walking directly infront of it.

The insistent honking behind me finally got through to me and I stopped. But that was all I could do. I couldn't turn or even continue walking. I just stopped. The cold was too much and I was already tired. Tears flooded my eyes as it slowly sank in. I was too weak to save my mother.

All I did was give her grief, she was in debt because of me. Now heaven knows what would happen to her without me there. And now I  couldn't keep my promise. Now I was going to die from the cold or be run over by whoever was in the car behind me. Then all that would do is cause more grief for the only person who had ever loved me.

Finally my knees gave away and I sank to the icy bed beneath my feet. My eyes felt heavy and I could hardly breath. The tears had frozen on my face and I now had no feelings in my legs or arms. I knew I was dying.

                    ~□~■~□~■~□~■~□~

"Is she going to be alright, James?"

"Yes sir, the doctor said that the chance of pneumonia is no longer a threat."

"Thats good. I did some searching, it seems she ran away from home after watching her stepfather abuse her mother. From what the investigators say, Its a good  thing she left."

"Why is that sir?

"The stepfather killed both himself and her mother lastnight."

From deep in my subconscious I could hear the two voices. I focused hard on what they were saying. There was a dark fog surrounding me and I felt like it was gonna suck me in. But I knew what they had just said was important.

I fought against the fog that threatened to swallow me whole. I could not give in, I had given up once but I had to save my mother. Then I felt someones hand pulling me from my deep sleep so I grabbed on to it and let it pull me into reality no matter what lay ahead.

I opened my eyes to face baby blue eyes and an angelic face topped with soft blond hair cut neatly and kept tidy. His eyes were slightly wide and I watched as they slowly drifted down to where I had his hand in a death grip. My eyes drifted aswell and I quickly let go. His eyes darted back to mine and for a second it seemed there was a flash of regret.

"What did you say about my mother?" my voice came out as a hoarse whisper.

I saw him look away and glance at the older man behind him. When he turned around his eyes showed nothing. No hint of what was to come. He rose from the edge of the bed that he had been sitting on and slowly walked out of the room.

"Wait...my mother..." I said but not even I could hear myself.

The man who had been standing at the foot of the bed now came closer. I eyed his appearance. He was tall with brown hair and green eyes that now was filled with sadness. His attire was a suit and tie and I could see the outline of a holster. My eyes widened and I sunk backwards.

"Dont worry about the gun, I'm Mr. Western's personal body guard." he said calmly placing both his hands infront of him as not to alarm me.

I nodded and relaxed slightly.

"So, then Mr. Western is the person who was in here before?" I asked.

He nodded and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"My name is James Brighten and you are Victoria Candon. Before you ask we got the name from your purse. And we also did a background check on you to make sure."

I eyed him carefully. Why did he have to do a background check on me? Furthermore why was he talking to me as if I was a mental patient about to snap at anytime.

"Okay. So what about my mother? You're  scaring me Mr. Brighten."

I could feel the cold hand of fear reaching for my heart as it thudded loudly inside my chest.

"Listen Victoria, I can only imagine what you've been through. I know you must've loved your mother very much. But I dont want you to think that its your fault. If you had stayed you would have ended up the same."

My eyes widened and I stopped breathing. I knew what he was about to say but I needed him to say it. I knew it would be torturing myself but I needed to hear it for it to be real.

"What are you saying?" I whispered out.

Tears were already pooling in my eyes but I held them back. I would not cry infront of this stranger. He didnt need to see me when I was pitiful. Though I imagined that he had seen me on the brink of death.

"I'm very sorry but your stepfather killed both your mother and himself the night you left." he said quietly.

I processed the information and nodded slowly. My heart had cracked in two. The pain was overwhelming but I held back.

"Thank you. I think I will get some rest and just be by myself for a while." I told him quitely.

He hesitated for a minute then nodded and left. I placed my head on the pillow and pulled the blankets over my head. Then I let the tears and the pain consume me. I cried silently for the loss of the one person that I had lived for.