Without needing asking, I slip my shoes off and neatly place them on the shoe rack before Nao and I walk through to the kitchen at the end of the hall.

''Ally not here yet?" I ask as my socked feet slide on the cold marble floor.

''On her way, her brother's gonna drop her off," she replies as we approach the very open planned large kitchen.

Inside occupies her always smartly dressed father. He is sat at a rectangular glass table, typing away on his expensive phone, barely looking up as Nao and I enter the room.

''Hey Mr Joshua," I say with a warm smile.

''Oh hi, Cherry, how are you?" he says, looking away from his phone for briefly 3 seconds before dipping back down to bury his nose in his phone.

''Yeah, good, thanks," I answer as plainly but politely as possible.

I know he's probably not really interested anyways, he's far too busy for idle chit-chat.

Just as I've finished speaking Nao's Mum begins to speak from another room, capturing our attention.

''Naomi, I don't want any silly nonsense while we're away. No parties. And I don't want-" she pauses her speech and her movements as soon as she walks into the kitchen and notices my presence, "oh, hello there, Cherry. I didn't know you were here.''

''Yeah, sorry. I just got here. You look lovely," I say meeting eyes with her across the kitchen island.

''Oh, thank you," she replies, brushing her red skirt with her palms and concealing a blushed smile.

''Anyway, Naomi, listen. I don't want any parties. Three friends over, max. And I don't want you ordering takeaway food in, there's plenty of decent food in that fridge, just apply yourself and cook something.''

Nao holds her hands up in mock surrender and I chuckle under my breath.

''Honey, would you mind putting our bags in the car? We need to leave here within the next 15 minutes if we're going to skip all the traffic," Nao's Mum says to her Dad as we stand awkwardly at the kitchen counter.

He moves to his feet, slipping her phone into his blazer pocket before heading out of the room.

''Oh that reminds me!" her Mum says, throwing her hands in the air before darting out of the kitchen, leaving Nao and I alone.

''Sorry about them, they're always super stressy when they're preparing for work trips.. which is like always, so yeah," Nao says walking over to the fridge and pulling out a pitcher of orange juice and pouring it into two glasses for us.

''It's cool, no worries. All parents have their faults, just look at mine," I jest with an exaggerated expression to try and make her feel better or at least make her laugh.

She hands a glass of juice over to me while offering me a smile. It must be hard for Nao being an only child whose parents are away more often than they're not. A lonely life if nothing else. That's why we've always had such a strong connection - other than the fact we're the most compatible pair in our friendship group - we're basically like sisters. We've always been able to rely on each other for company, support, love; friendship. I sense the isolation she must feel being in this huge house alone with no siblings to keep her company - her parents won't even allow her a pet because they're so house proud - so I make sure I include her in as much stuff as possible and vice versa. We both appreciate it.

''Oi oi," Alana's lively voice calls as she enters the kitchen.

We turn our heads to see her striding towards us with a jovial demeanour. We greet her as she occupies her own space beside me at the kitchen island and Nao pours her a glass of juice.