Chapter 11

Anaitis was her name, and she was the mermaid Arlene befriended.

"Wait, but doesn't that mean he'll bother you even more?" Blaise said, breaking her train of thoughts once again.

She turned to him "If Snape wants to be a baby about me telling him to grow up, I'm taking it to Dumbledore."

Blaise nodded absentmindedly and started reading his book again.

Arlene looked up the lake and waved at Anaitis, who waved back.

How's third year? She signed.

I'm friends with her. Arlene signed excitedly, wanting to tell her all about Hermione, but keeping in mind not to listen to what she's going to advise her to do, she meant well but mermaids gave terrible love advice.

She kept talking to her, telling her about how Hermione's hair was so wild and her eyes shined when she laughed or how she was passionate about saving animals and was extremely smart.

She could have gone on for hours if Theo didn't enter the common room.

"Don't you have try outs?" He questioned, causing her eyes to widen.

"Shit!" She exclaimed, jumped off the couche and running to her dorm to grab her broomstick, how could she be so stupid?

She ran as fast as she could to the Quidditch Field, if she missed it she would drown herself in the Black Lake and give its name a new meaning.

"Arlene," Marcus Flint acknowledge her as she gasped for breath "you're late."

"I know, I'm sorry, it won't happen again, I promise-"

"Just get on your broom." Flint sighed, pointing towards the field where a few players were chatting.

There were two teams, one had a team keeper, two tryout chasers and a team beater, while the other team had a tryout keeper, two teem chasers and two tryout beaters, Arlene guessed the point was that the team players would be against the tryouts.

Arlene bit her lip, Jude was their star chaser, she had to beat her.

Just as she was about to drop her broom and run away, she heard cheering from and the stands and saw Sage, her face painted green and white with a banner that said "GO ARLENE!"

And that was all she needed.

"The first team to score three times wins." Flint announced as he, being one of the chasers, got on his broom.

At first they were doing okay, they were tied one to one when a bludger almost hit her but the beater managed to throw it at the other team at the last second.

Then it got more competitive, she barely got her hands on the quaffle before Jude or Flint managed to take it, but the worst part was that none of the other players were really on her team, there was only one place for a chaser, which meant the boy who was playing with her was also trying to limit her playing, and the same went for the other two players, the keeper focused on stopping Flint and Jude and the beater just wanted to make the other one slip up.

The boy managed to score, which now tied them two to two.

Arlene sped up as Jude and Flint passed the ball to each other, they were almost at the hoops, Arlene couldn't take the ball alone and if the other boy got his hands on it, she doubted he would hand it to her.

It was hopeless, if they make that shot, they won and the boy would be the new chaser as he made the second shot and the quaffle was in his possession most of the game, so Arlene took a leap of faith.