The purging of the population

Perhaps I should backtrack a bit. Although what I tell you is what I have heard through the whispers of the other children. Children like me. Born of Handmaids, the surrogate to our parents, as written in the Bible.

The Gilead movement started in when a place called the White House was taken over by the Christian movement. Women were once free to marry who they wanted, or not marry at all. But the Christian movement took that away. A previous Martha in my home had been hanged in the public square for kissing another Martha. The price for not being fruitful, was to be sent to the colonies. The price for defying the new government, was death. We, the children of the Gilead movement, were taught sex was only for men's enjoyment, and only to be fruitful.

The land known as New York had become overpopulated, run by people who resisted the government when the movement first happened.

At first, the government allowed them to kill each other, hoping this would help the problem of over population. But again, they resisted and the government had no choice but to purge the population. To rid the land of evil. Just as God did in the times of Noah, they justified it by saying those who defy the government were evil.

I dare not question what was done, it is forbidden. The resisters who survived either went to Canada or Mexico, or submitted to Gilead.

Not long after, the opposite of over population happened. The women had become infertile. I heard this was a curse put upon the people by God. So our king assigned those who were fertile to bear the fruit of the land. The Handmaids.