The Aftermath

Klaus staggered through the front door still shaken from what had happened moments earlier. His body shook from trauma and fear. His eyes lingered up to his remaining family. There was a flood of emotion in his crystal eyes, none good. The blue orbs held a grey cloud of dejected feelings. His once vibrant color faded from water that was now forming pools in his eyes. Everyone else in the Mikaelson clan stood frozen, waiting for Klaus to say something. Anything. 

Klaus stumbled forward a step. Caroline, who had joined the group, surged forward to Klaus. Her arms went to wrap around Klaus' neck as her fingers rubbed through his dirty blond hair. Klaus stood still. Void. 

"I'm sorry," Caroline whispered softly into his ear. Klaus reached around Caroline's waist as he rested his head into Caroline's shoulder. 

"He's gone," Klaus cried into Caroline's shoulder so quietly that if you didn't have vampire hearing you wouldn't have heard. Klaus' body shook violently as he crumpled to the floor, Caroline still holding him. 

Caroline continued to whisper into Klaus' ear through his crying, "You're not alone. We're here. It'll be okay." Klaus continued to moan into Caroline's shoulder while she brushed through his hair with her soft fingertips. The other Mikaelsons stood still with tears in their eyes, unsure of how to comfort their corrupted brother. 

After a minute of continued, muffled sobs, Rebekah rushed forward to join the pair in the warm, yet cold, embrace. Hope and the rest of the group quickly followed, hugging as a family. Without Elijah.