Cadence raised her eyes to see Curtis striding leisurely into the nursery. She wanted to smile, but found the muscles uncooperative in the face of her deepening despair.

“There is something very important I’ve been meaning to tell you.” He knelt before her and reached to tenderly pull a curl away from her face. “I love you.”   

For a moment she froze. This was not a declaration she’d anticipated, hoped for yes, but not expected. She tore her eyes from his, trying to stand. “Please, Curtis, you don’t have to say anything you don’t mean. I know it’s just an act, I won’t try to hold you back.”

“No, oh, no.” His large hands pressed her back into the chair, staring hard into her eyes. “Cadence, you aren’t holding me back, you are my reason for living the only reason I’m moving forward. I cannot fathom why it is you love me, and I can’t believe I’ll ever deserve you, but God help me I do love you. I love you more than the air is clear or the sea is vast. I would die for you, Cadence, please believe me when I say that I don’t want to hurt you anymore.” He kissed each of her hands in turn. “We’re going to live happily ever after.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because you make me believe in fairytales. You are my fairytale, Cadence, my princess, my queen, my angel,” he whispered. “Fairytales have happy endings. I love you,” he repeated pressing his lips to hers. “Forgive me.”

“I love you too,” she murmured, marveling at the speech. The guarded veil had dropped from his eyes and when he looked at her as though the world was right because of her presence, she believed it. “Curtis, there is nothing to forgive. But—” She brushed at the tears lingering in the corner of her eye. “I need for you to tell me what’s going on. I know you’re trying to protect me, but all of these secrets frighten me.”

He sighed, looking tired.

Marissa stood. “Cadence, why don’t you take him to your room so you two can talk in private.”

Nodding, Cadence led him from the nursery.

“I’m sorry for my outburst last night,” Curtis said quietly, slipping his fingers into hers. “I probably should have told you all of this a long time ago.”

“Better late than never.” She tried to smile encouragingly but the gesture felt weak.

The door to her guest room clicked behind them. He dropped her hand turning a slow circle about the room. “I don’t even know where to begin.”

“Just start at the beginning, Curtis, I’m not going anywhere. Never.”

“You say that now,” he sighed, crumpling against the wall. The faraway look glazed over his features and he stared down at his hands for a long while. “You know that I was only seventeen when I joined the Confederate Army.”

“Yes,” she said though it didn’t seem he heard or expected an answer.