Chapter Two

I realized I loved Harry the first time i saw him with Kendall. I watched the way his lips curled upward when he looked at her, saw his eyes sparkle in a way they never did when it was just us two. When she trailed her fingers down his arm, laughing flirtatiously, I realized I didn't want to be "just friends" with him anymore, but by then it was too late.

Now all I ever do is watch them break up and get back together and break up and get back together and I can never seem to tell him how I feel. So I've enacted Plan B. I'll make him think somethings going on with Niall Horan, the world's hottest irish boy, and once I see Harry's reaction, I'll finally know if he could ever see me like he sees Kendall. If maybe he could be more than just my best friend/ my next-door neighbor.

He pulls the key from the ignition, the bulky key ring jingling in his huge hand.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

I fight the urge to smile and instead slide deeper into the smooth bucket seat, trying not to fidget. I smooth out my maxi dress and peer into the darkness, trying to make out some of the shadowy figures approaching Niall's house.

Niall Horan is Cleveland High school's golden boy. the one with the flawless smile and wicked fastball. He's captain of the baseball and lacrosse team as well as co-captain of the soccer team. I guess that's not a huge accomplishment considering that anyone with the slightest athletic ability is practically drafted onto the teams, but he makes it look effortless. He's not brilliant, but he's funny, and people are drawn to him like a moth to a flame. But aside from dating Natalie for a record breaking two months, he's not into attachment, at least as far as I can tell.

In the twelve years we've gone to school together, I've watched him flirt with every girl - including me, once, although he might have been joking with the girl next to me. Most guys do ignore me, after all. But he's still a flirt, which is why he's the perfect one for tonight.