1

The rain was the kind of rain that was light but wet, like when you looked outside and seen the smurry rain, you'd think that it wouldn't really matter. But this rain was wet, my hair was dripping and my clothes were soaking. My head pounding at the argument I had just contributed to with my parents and boyfriend. I felt sick, my tired feet barely carrying me across the street.

I stopped at a wall down a small alley way, standing against the wall and letting my body slide down the wall. Tears blended in with the drops of rain running down my face, as I cried into my hands for who knows what time that day. Flashes of people screaming and glass breaking ran through my head, like a kid running down the halls of school at the end of the day. I choked on a sob and just sat there, watching as people walked past, sending me either disgusted or sympathetic looks. If only they knew.

I had sat their for 20 minutes or so, the rain finally stopping. I stood up and walked down the street, the street lights and cars lighting up my path. I didn't know where I was going, but it wasn't home yet. I closed my eyes tightly for a few seconds, letting myself walk in the dark of my own mind.

But my eyes sprung open as I collided with someone, I was sent backwards, falling on my ass and letting out a yelp. I scrambled up and looked towards the guys in front of me, apologising quickly.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't watching where I was going." I said and the guy just smirked.

"What's a pretty lady like you, doing walking around at this time of night?" He asked and I walked backwards as he walked towards me.

"I... um...." I couldn't find words, my heart beating out of my chest as the guy backed me into a wall.

"Why don't you come with me? I'll keep you warm." He said, his voice creepy.

"Please just leave me alone." I said, pleadingly with the man in front of me. But he didn't leave, instead he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him.

"Stop!" I yelled and before I knew it, the guy was grabbed off of me and thrown to the floor. It all happened so quickly, punches were thrown and blood was spilled. I watched as the guy who grabbed me, fell to the floor once again, the guy who pulled him off of me standing above him. People stood around us and people looked out their windows at the scenes outside.

"Are you alright?" The guy who pulled the other guy off me asked. I nodded quickly, looking at the guy on the floor, he ushered me away from the crowd of people and the injured guy on the floor. Sick rising in my throat at the thought of the events that took place and few seconds prior, I had to stop. Leaning against a wall and throwing up, the guy pressed a hand securely on my back and I thanked him over and over again. Once I was done throwing up, we walked for a few more seconds before stopping at a small alley away.

"Thank you." I said again, looking down at the floor.

"Hey, look at me." His voice spoke, a gentle hum about it. I looked up to the guy, he seemed tired and stressed. A serious look on his face but soft eyes. "What's you're name?" He asked, he didn't stand to close. Instead he stood a good bit away from me, respecting my personal space. I looked back downs t the floor.

"Autumn. What's yours?" I asked, looking back up the the guy who was looking on to the street.

"David." He said and I smiled lightly and nodded. We stood in silence for a minute or two, no words to be shared until he scratched the back of his neck. Looking around before letting his eyes land on me again.

"Hey, do you want a ride home or something?" He said, I realised just now that his accent was Scottish.

"No it's alright. I wouldn't want to be more of a trouble, I'll just call a friend." I said but he shook his head.

"No really it's fine. I'd rather know you're home and safe than in any more danger." He said and I wanted a second before nodding my head. It was silent while we walked to his car, it wasn't uncomfortable silence, instead a thankful silence.

We drove in silence also, the sound of the radio playing was the only thing that filled it. I tapped my finger along with the beat on my leg, almost humming to the song on the radio. I gave him directions to the house and he followed them, once we pulled up outside of the house I turned to David.

"Thank you again. I don't know why I would have done if you didn't show up." I said and he smiled and nodded. I opened the car door and before shutting it he spoke.

"Have a good night Autumn." He said and I sent him a smile. I shut the door to the car and walked towards my house, turning back to wave towards David as he drove away. Once I opened the door to the house, I kicked off my shoes and walked into the kitchen to see my mother standing with a smile on her face.

"Are you alright dear?" She asked and I thought for a moment, not really mother, I almost got raped or murdered on the street, a stranger saved me and drove me home, I'm also dripping wet and tired and I wouldn't be like this if you didn't hate me.

"Yes I'm fine. Mother, can you call Hank and tell him to bring me some toast up to my room. Please and thank you, I'm going to get dressed." I said and left before she could say anything. I ran upstairs, walking into my room and shutting the door. I pulled off my clothes and threw on an oversized jumper and pair of shorts. I brushed through my wet hair before pulling it into a ponytail. By the time I had placed my glasses on my face and grabbed a book, there was a knock at my door.

"Come in." I said sitting up, watching as the dark haired smiling man walked in with a tray with a plate of toast, glass of wine and glass of cranberry juice placed on it. I smiled and shook my head.

"You're to good to me, Hank." I said and he smiled and shook his head.

"Only the best for you Miss Chalmers." He said and I shook my head, taking the tray from him. He turned on the light beside my bed and I looked at him.

"What did I tell you Hank, call me Autumn. I've known you since I was 10." I said and he smiled sadly towards me, making me look st him confused.

"Sleep well Autumn, if you need me I'll be downstairs." He said, turning off the room light so that the small light beside me was just on. He shut the door and I pondered for a few seconds, he'd never been like that before. I shrugged and ate my toast. Unaware of the events that would unfold tomorrow.