Chapter 11

Chapter 11

It's Saturday, and the Prom is Friday. I search my closet for the dress my Gran made me a year ago. It's sea foam green with frill and lace around the neck and sleeves. It's strapless, but it still says where it needs to be. I find it in the corner of a small box. It still smells like Gran. Oh, if only she were here to see me wear it. She died the day after my fifteenth birthday.

I try on the sentimental dress, but I'm disappointed to say that it's too small! I was looking forward to wearing this dress to prom, ever since my Gran started it! Well, I still need a dress. I grab my purse and run out the door, leaving a note for my mom telling her where I am. If I had to choose a place to get a dress, it's the mall. I don't think I have ever shopped anywhere else! I jump into the blue Jeep my mom got me for my sixteenth birthday and start the engine. It takes about a half hour to get to the mall, but another fifteen minutes just to find a parking space.

Once I get in the mall, I search for my favorite shop, DEB. It has dresses and jackets, pretty much everything that's in style at the moment. I search the back of the shop where all the dresses are. I really don't want a big poofy pink and frilly dress, and I don't want another sea foam green dress. It would just be too painful.

The dresses farther back are more unique. Zebra and cheetah print dresses, polka dots, stripes, it makes me dizzy! I finally find some normal looking dresses towards a corner by a window. Full colored, silk dresses with spaghetti straps to keep it from falling off. There's red ones and orange ones and pink ones, it reminds me of a rainbow. I search the rack for something that pleases me, but nothing seems too appealing. Then I see it, the perfect dress. It's a beautiful Midnight Blue dress, with a low collar that goes down to show cleavage, but not too much. It came just above my knees, and it hugged my body pretty well. It's like it was made for me. I check the price tag. It was just under my limit: $80.95 and with tax. It ended up to be $92.14.

Now I have my dress, but when I try to remember if i have any black shoes to match it, nothing comes to mind. I walk to the other end of the store to search for a nice pair of pumps. Many of the shoes have buckles and chains, paint splatters, and some had heels as long as my arm! There were some multi-colored shoes too. Blazing yellows, bright oranges, I finally found a perfect pair of black pumps, heels not too high, but the price wasn't that low, either. $60.00. It's above my budget, but I guess if i get a part time job, I could pay it off.

I bring the dress and the shoes to the cashier, and give her my credit card.

"Credit, please." She bags my items and hands it back. I make it out to my car and stuff the bags into the backseat. "Now, all i have to do is show Mom."

I get home and try the dress on. The cloud may be in a week, but I can imagine the look on Marcus' face when he sees me in this. It really brings out my long, straight black hair, and my purplish eyes. Everyone thinks my eyes are really cool. I just think I look like a freak.

I step away from the mirror and start dancing. I twirl and spin and laugh until I can't breathe anymore. I decide I'm not going to show my mom until prom night, just like Marcus.

I undress and hang my outfit up in my closet. I store my shoes under my bed, in their box. It's only 7:00, but I'm beat from shopping. I crawl onto my mattress, and fall asleep instantly.