I focus my attention back onto Valerie. Vivian? No, it’s most definitely Victoria. Time to pull out the moves. “I’m sorry. I was just so enamored by your eyes.” She shoots me a look of disbelief and shakes her head.

“You weren’t exactly looking at my eyes.” I should have chosen something better. She’s on to me.

“Your lips are just so hypnotizing. They’re even making me get my words all jumbled up.” Rolling her eyes, she eats a bite of food. Now that I think about it, I should eat some food. Looking down at my plate and picking up my fork, I lift the fork up to my mouth and see that there’s nothing there. Hm. I must have finished it.

Victoria is looking at me with amusement and slight embarrassment in her eyes. I hope no one else saw that because then that would be extremely embarrassing for me. “You weren’t looking at my lips either. Unless you have sight problems, I’m pretty sure the wall looks nothing like a human face.”

Wow, she’s kind of feisty. I would have actually taken a liking to her if I hadn’t had my heart stolen away by someone else. What has this done to me? I can’t even enjoy any female company anymore.  “I’m so sorry about all this, Victoria. My mind—”

I’m cut off by the sudden drop of silverware on a plate. I realize that while Victoria has dropped her fork, she’s still waving her knife at me. Thank you, Mother, for setting me up with a homicidal freak that likes to use something as painful as knives. “My name is Jennifer. I’m going to kill my mom for setting up this date. Because you are horrible. I pity the girl who marries you in future.”

Pushing her chair back, she stands up, grabs her purse and walks out. Well, that was eventful, but why the hell would her name be Jennifer? I could have sworn it started with a ‘V.’

***

Bryn Sinclair

“You hiding out, too?” I immediately know who it is without looking up. Hale and I had fallen into a tension filled and hesitant (at least on my side of things) friendship with him constantly making flirtatious comments, and me deflecting as best as I could. Sitting at this table in the corner of the library had become a regular refuge for Hale and I these past couple days. It was rather unfortunate how my life came to this: hiding out in the library during a break. On top of that, the only company that I can tolerate right now is Hale. And he’s the one who broke my heart. And it will never be whole again. Why do my friends have to suck?

“Well, there’s really nowhere else that’s safe to hide, is there?” Ren and Elle were still in a cold war. Elle and Char are still in a cold war. Oliver had taken to watching a whole load of chick flicks with Charlotte, much to the dismay of Wes, who insisted that watching action movies was the way to go. Charlotte rather agreed, but Oliver wouldn’t have it. What makes things worse is that Wes doesn’t even get to hang out at these little movie sessions. Char has been avoiding him like the plague ever since that lovely little incident in the kitchen. I blame myself for walking in. Elle had been keeping busy by taking extra shifts at her jobs. Of course, she made sure that she never had the same shift as Ren at the coffee house. Ren, on the other hand, preferred to torture her with his presence. He never spared her a glance, but instead hung out at whichever place she was currently working.