That was what the Senior Grandmaster saw when he arrived. He had never met Jun Huang before, and was rendered speechless for a moment, unsure of what to do. Jun Huang gave him a smile and put down the tea cup before standing up.

“This gentleman is Feng Baiyu. I have been waiting for you, sir.” She cupped her hands in greeting with a disarming smile; the Senior Grandmaster visibly relaxed.

He took his seat. Jun Huang poured him a cup of tea. “Sir, this is Bamboo Leaf Green tea of the highest quality. I’ve heard that it’s a favorite of yours.”

The Senior Grandmaster didn’t expect this young man he’d just met to know his preferences. He took the cup with a smile and took a whiff. He knew it was a rare premium breed even before he tasted it.

“Do you like it?” Jun Huang asked.

“The smell doesn’t fade as time goes by.” He took a sip. “And the taste lingers in my mouth. Indeed a good tea.” He was generous with his praises, but Jun Huang still had a calm expression on her face, as if she had anticipated his reaction.

She lowered her eyes and blew the tea leaves floating on her tea. Then she took a sip and smiled at him. “Good things should be left for the person who deserves it. Do you agree, sir?”

The Senior Grandmaster frowned. He wasn’t sure what she meant by that.

“I will stop beating around the bush here. There are things we both know that don’t need to be brought up. Today I came to meet you, sir, because I want to make a deal with you.”

“What deal?”

“I heard that in your early life you were unable to fulfil your potential. It was because of second prince Qi Chen’s support that you became the Senior Grandmaster. To you, Qi Chen was your Bo Le2, the one who discovered your talent. Or have I perhaps been mistaken?” Jun Huang met his eyes. Everything she said was the truth.

The Senior Grandmaster broke out into cold sweat, soaking his collars. He didn’t know how to react in order to not raise any suspicion. Jun Huang, however, wasn’t looking at him. Instead, she walked to the window and looked out over the imperial city.

“I also heard that you, sir, were troubled by Qi Chen’s embezzlement. This gentleman knows that you are a good official who truly cares about the people. Naturally, you cannot stand for what Qi Chen did.” Jun Huang turned to look at him with a soft smile. Senior Grandmaster was shocked. He had not expected anyone to understand him so well. It was as if she was a part of him.

It made him wary. He could feel his heart pounding against his ribcage. Who was this person, exactly? “I wonder what gentleman Feng asked me to be here for. There is no need for pretense.”

Jun Huang smiled. “I only wanted to find out if you are on my side.”

“What do you mean?”

“The world is now governed by three countries, and the three are at peace. But for how long, do you think? Northern Qi is in good hand for the time being, but how about the next emperor? Do you still think that the second prince will be a good leader?”

“The crown prince is a failure and is not suited for the position. The second prince, however, is willing to sacrifice the wellbeing of the people for his own gains. I’ll ask you one thing: If he becomes the emperor, will the nation be at peace? Will the people be cared for?” Jun Huang grew more and more agitated as she spoke. Qi Chen’s crimes were many, and they filled her with rage.

The Senior Grandmaster fell silent. What Jun Huang said was the hard truth. It hit him where he was most tender. Qi Chen’s actions were intolerable. If someone like him became the emperor, it would be bad news both for Northern Qi, and for its people.