After getting Qi Chen settled, Jun Huang went to her own building. Wei Qian was waiting for her at the door.

“Where did the gentleman go?” she asked.

Jun Huang was amused. Normally she would just make up an excuse, but today she felt like teasing Wei Qian. She affected a cold tone and said, “Did the prince ordered you to keep an eye on me?”

“Of course not,” Wei Qian nervously said, worried that Jun Huang would get the wrong idea.

“If that’s the case, I don’t have to answer your question. I’m tired now. You can leave as you please.” She walked into her room and chuckled as she shut the door.

In Prince Nan Manor, a shadow guard stood beside Nan Xun, awaiting his order. After some consideration, Nan Xun took out a pen and a piece of paper and wrote down a few words. He handed the paper to the guard. “Take this to Prince Chen Manor and gave it to Feng Baiyu. Remember, Qi Chen must not know about this.”

“Understood.” The shadow guard took the paper and left silently.

Night fell. Within the imperial city only the night watchmen1 still walked the street. The shadow guard’s footsteps were quick but soundless. He reached Prince Chen Manor promptly.

He considered the high wall. A push of his foot and he leaped into the air, landing on the tiles making a quiet noise.

Wei Qian was well-trained, and she wasn’t deep in sleep. Immediately her eyes snapped open and she rushed to Jun Huang’s room. After a moment of hesitation at the door, she knocked. “Has the gentleman gone to bed?”

There was the rustling sound of clothes. Then the candles inside the room were lit. In the dim light she saw Jun Huang getting off the bed and coming to get the door.

“What’s the matter?” Jun Huang asked blearily, rubbing her eyes. She had a gown wrapped around her body, and her hair was a little messy. Her face remained passive as Wei Qian gave her room a once-over.

“It was nothing.” Wei Qian looked away and shook her head. “I’m only here to check up on the gentleman.”

Jun Huang nodded. “I’m fine.”

“Then Wei Qian would take her leave.” She turned around and walked away. Jun Huang’s eyes followed her until she went back into the side room. Jun Huang shut the door after herself.

The shadow guard had left, leaving the window open. Jun Huang frowned, a little bewildered. Then she noticed a slip of paper on her desk.

“Qi Chen now holds power over the imperial court. Even though the embezzlement is a stain on his reputation, there are still people supporting him behind the scenes. Now the only viable plan is to convince someone whose loyalty to him has already wavered. This I cannot do myself. I’ll leave it in your capable hands. Tomorrow, the Senior Grandmaster will be at the tavern waiting for you.”

The letter was written in strong and decisive strokes. Jun Huang considered the situation carefully. This was a good move on Nan Xun’s part. She took another look before holding the paper over a candle. Her mind was clear as the paper turned into ashes.

The next day, Jun Huang woke up at the crack of dawn. Wei Qian would be accompanying Qi Chen today, and Qi Chen normally let Jun Huang freely go as she pleased. There was nothing stopping her from leaving the manor.

It was still early when she got to the tavern. Jun Huang told the clerk to brew her a pot of tea, then she sat on a stool and started drinking it. She looked at home where she sat. Her violet silk gown was fanciful, but not flamboyant. Her skin was fair, and the white jade cap framing her black hair was fairer.