I glanced up at them and sighed. “She’s Fred’s mate. It’s a long story. I’ll show you later. But first I think…” As I was about to continue I noticed Shelley and Steve become repulsed and shied away. “What is that horrible smell…it’s like we dog.” I chuckled and glanced toward the giant wolf stalking toward us. “That’s me and my friend Seth over there. He’s a shape shifter. He can shift into a big wolf. Seth. It’s fine. They are family. Turn back.” He nodded and went into the forest and changed before coming out beside me fully clothed. “A shape shifter? Like a werewolf?” Both Seth and I chuckled and shook our heads. “Kinda. But it’s a Indian tribe legend. It’s rather complicated. But I am so happy to see you! I havent seen you since before you left. And it wasn’t long before I joined you left so I finally get to meet you and so on and so fourth.”

I grinned happily and we helped them dispose of the bodies. I marked the graves subtly so that humans couldn’t find them. Seth was upset but I quickly explained my yellow eyes and answered any and all questions they had about what happened and more. I urged them to take up the diet and they said they’d try it and they actually ended up liking it though it took them longer to get the hang of it. We all traveled together for another 6 years as a family. Steve and Shelley playing our adopted parents.

Though I was the leader of the group considering my experience with the diet and we traveled through the Amazon coming very close to running into the Cullens though lucky we missed them completely and were able to avoid being detected. We spoke with Zafrina and her sisters and learned that Fred and Diego a long with Alexandria were looking for us but they couldn’t track us. We learned that Nessie had stopped growing like Nahuel had claimed and her and Jake were all lovey dovey when they visited them. I was thrilled to be around another ability I was familiar with and to hunt in their woods was fun.

We spent the next year and a half in the Amazon having going to see Nahuel and Huilen. It was fun and pleasant and we were happy. Until Seth met his imprintee. Her name was Rebekah and she was a werewolf. She had green eyes and medium blonde hair. She was beautiful. I told Seth they would be happy and I knew I would be heartbroken because despite claiming to not fall for him I did anyways and so I ran away to be alone. I just wanted to be alone.

Smiling I stood on the boulder that stood out in the middle of the water. The water had receded in the last 20 years and I was standing where 20 years ago Diego and myself hid in the underground cave. I sparkled lightly in the covered day. Taking in the feeling I closed my eyes and enjoyed the beauty of the place. I had been alone for 7 and a half years and I had enjoyed it greatly. I got to see and enjoy all the places I always wanted to see. It was wonderful. Taking in a breath I scented the footsteps before I heard them. “I was wondering how long it would be until you caught up to me.” I opened my eyes and continued staring out at the water.

It was my 36 birthday and my 20th year as a vampire. I had planned on enjoying the day alone but decided that I wanted someone to spend it  with so I spent most of the day prior running around Washington leading my scent to this very spot. I wasn’t sure who would find it and track it but I knew someone would. I could feel their powers. My range had grown in the last 20 years and I could feel them before I scented them or heard them. “Bree…we…you….Why have you been running for 20 years?” I frowned and looked at the ground. “Why have you finally come back after all these years?”

I smirked and turned to face my followers. “I believed it was time for a family reunion. It’s been 20 years since the army has been together. I thought it was time we got back together. I missed my family. Is that such a bad thing? I’ve been training. Practicing. Learning to be the person I am meant to be. I couldn’t just jump into the role. Besides, I’m forever a 16 year old trapped in a 15 year olds body. How could I be the leader I was meant to be when I’m a child.” Looking up I saw Shelley staring at me with motherly eyes, “We don’t see you as a child, Bree. We see you as our leader and we have been looking for you since you ran away from us. We found the others completely by accident while we were all looking for you. We need our leader and despite what you believe you are our leader and a great leader you are and will be. No matter what. So please. Come with us. Come home.”

I stared at her shocked and surprised. I felt the emotions wanting to come out. I wanted to cry though the tears had ceased and would never come I still wanted to do it. They saw me as their leader despite my running and escaping. The wanted me as their leader. “Please, Bree. We need you.” I looked up and saw it was Diego that had said that. He was standing next to Fred who had his arm wrapped around Alexandria. The original reason for my running. I could easily see the wedding bands on the person and I sighed softly. Glancing down I nodded, “Very well. I will come home.” I said and they embraced me happily.

After they we celebrated the reunion and returned to visit the Cullens. Alice had received a vision of my return and had gotten them all together for a surprise birthday party. They revealed to me that they had acquired a home in the center of the woods of Central park forest that  was for whenever I wanted to be alone but they also told me they had restored a house specifically for us in a small city in Texas. Called Follet. I was surprised but the city was rarely sunny and when it was it was easy to go ‘hiking’ We immediately took up residence and I resumed my role as leader while Steve and Shelly resumed the role as parents. Shelley was a teacher. She taught one of our classes and Steve ran a local teen hang out.

Obviously like the Cullens we all left after I graduated and would travel somewhere else though the hang out remained ‘in the family’. Diego met his mate, Ruth, at a college. She was human and the situation vaguely reminded me of Edward and Bella. She had orange/blonde hair that laid down to her waist and she had prettiest blue eyes I had ever seen. She took to our family easily. But she also had an ability. The ability of telekinesis.

Because Alexandria and Ruth looked similar we claimed them as twins while Fred was mine and Steve’s cousin. Steve and Shelley continued playing our parents. I was Steve’s younger sister who he adopted after our parents died and because Shelley looked quite a bit like Diego we claimed he was her cousin that came to live with us and that Steve and Shelley adopted Fred, Alex and Ruth.

We were a proud and happy little family. We were quite similar to the Cullens and a couple times we all even went to the same school. We would modify our stories to fit theirs as they would do the same with us but we were all very happy with the arrangement. We thought we would be able to enjoy this existence this way for eternity. But we were wrong.