Chapter 1

Arabella's POV

I hate people.
They have this wonderful gift of thought yet they seem to misuse it, or for that matter never use it.
The conversation I was witnessing was a fantastic example of the latter.

A couple tables next to me Sally Henderson, cheerleader extraordinaire and all time queen bee, was talking to Lacey Statesman, her sidekick/best friend, about the new sales at the mall. Literally the only things going on in their minds were images of clothes and dozens of more overly priced material objects. I'll admit the conversation did become a little more bearable when Sally began to think about how she was cheating on her long term boyfriend, star football player and Ken doll look alike, Jake Samuels.

"What a shock," I mumble under my breath.

There wasn't really a purpose for me listening in on their conversation, but none of my sisters were at the lunch table yet so it wasn't like I had anything better to do.

Finally Anastasia comes out of the lunch line and sits down next to me.
We are twins, having basically the same features, except the fact her hair is straight and a half a shade darker than mine, with an underlying red tone. Whilst mine is light blonde and curly, with tones of brown. However, our medium blue eyes are identical, as well as the patch of freckles on our noses.

"Why is she feeling so guilty?"
She asks pointing at Sally.

"Cheated on her boyfriend." I reply.

"Ouch, well I guess I'll let her keep that emotion, even though poor Jake felt sad around her anyway."

This is her gift, she can tell what other people are feeling, and influence it.
Our gifts work side by side with each other, presumably because we are twins.

"Who wouldn't, she sucks the life out of everyone. Trust me, I've read what they think." I say, taking another bite of my sandwich.

Suddenly Sylvia appears, in a rushed and panicked state.

"Hey sorry I'm late, had to finish a Pre-Cal test," She says taking a seat.

"It wasn't that hard," Samantha says following behind her, "and I didn't even read minds for answers like AraBell."

"I don't do that." I say scowling

"Mhmm sure." She says smirking.

Samantha and Sylvia are the other set of twins, and my other two sisters. They are a year above me and Ana, and far more fraternal. Samantha has short, straight, medium brown hair, with blonde streaks and dark green eyes. Sylvia on the other hand has long, wavy, solid blonde hair and blue-green eyes.

"Hey you got lunch?" Sam says turning to Sylvia.

"Mhmm." She replies, reaching into her bag. She pulls out two brown paper bags, laying them on the table and setting them upright.

"Turkey sandwiches and chips?" Syl asks Sam.

"Sounds good."

The bags makes a small crinkling sound, then both of them reach in to grab the meal of their request.

"I made you guys' this morning right?" Syl asked.

"Yep." Me and Ana say in sync, holding up our sandwiches.

Samantha and Sylvia's gifts also coincide. Sylvia can create any material object, which means she can't create life. I'm still confused as to how she can create food, since it had to be alive at some point, but it tastes good so I ignore my inquisition.

Sam's gift is that she can control any material object. The same rule applies as Sylvia's, so she can't control any living thing, but she can move and shift objects. We had to force her to quit sports, since she was the best on every team and we didn't want anyone getting suspicious. Plus, according to Ana, it was wrong. However, I think she just got tired of feeling the envy of all the other players on the team.

When lunch ends we head toward our classes, Sam and I both have gym next so we walk to the locker room.

We quickly change into our outfits and head into the gymnasium.

Once in, we take a seat on the bleachers and wait for the other girls to be ready.

I know they'll be longer than usual, due to the fact that there is a small group surrounding the window to the boys' gym. From their wonderfully detailed thoughts I know it is guy conditioning and strengthening day. I swear some of these girls are more perverted than the guys.

Don't get me wrong, the guys at this school aren't bad looking, it's just after hearing their thoughts, they become a lot less attractive.

"ALRIGHT LADIES LINE UP!" Coach Abigail yells, her voice booming through the entire gymnasium.
"ITS DODGEBALL DAY, LINE UP."

We split into two teams and take our sides.

"Man I love dodgeball." Sam says smiling.

I may not be able to read her mind, since our powers don't work on each other, but I can tell what she's thinking.

"Don't do it." I scowl, nodding towards Gracie Henderson. She's Sally's older sister, and Sam's worst enemy.

"But she called me a freak this morning, and pushed me down the stairs."

"Okay maybe one ball," I say with an evil smirk.

The game starts and the battle begins. I'm one of the last people to get out, however there are two people left. Sam for my team, and Gracie for the other.

"Of course," I laugh under my breath.

"Ha take your best shot weirdo!" Gracie shouts, flashing her signature devious grin.

"My pleasure." Sam replies smirking.

She throws the ball at an alarming speed. It collides with Gracie in one big splat. One second she was standing pridefully, then she was on the floor. The whole gym is laughing, everyone thought she deserves it, except coach Abigail.

"It was worth it." Sam said smiling.

Next thing I know, we are sitting outside the principals office.