prologue

Your soulmark.
Essentially, it looks like a normal birthmark.
It starts as a light brown, for a person as pale as Mason is.
As for one with skin much tanner, as Cameron was more likely to go outside than his friend, his mark was more of a dark caramel color, alike to his hair.
But its not the starting color that matters to the people most.
Its the color that is produced once those two marks are touched.
They create a firework of art, bright colors, contrasting from the skin, and always identical to your 'soulmate's
Some call it absolute bullshit.
Mason want to agree.
His mother sure does.

Blue is the colour her mark turned, or at least supports it the most. It is a mixture of mostly blue on her fingers, but some green streaks running along like veins, occasionally mixing in the dip of her wrist, giving it a murky look, and she loved it.
According to her stories, his father had grabbed her hand at a club, to usher her to the dance floor, and that is when they saw it.
A firework of colors, exploding across his heavily worked hands, spreading to my mothers nimble fingers.
To say that they were happy would be a severe understatement.
They were in true bliss, pure love until Mason came along.

At that point in the relationship, him and the colors were the only thing keeping them together, but it didn't last for long. He eventually got sick of mother using 'birthmark' as a cure-all.
He couldn't stand how the only way she could get him to stay, was "Jonah we're soulmates! You can't just walk out on me like this!".
So he left. And Mason's faith in the whole 'soulmate' system was broken.

The only thing that hurt more than him walking out, is knowing that theres no guarantee his soulmate won't do the same.

They always told him to not be afraid of his mark, that maybe he was wrong about his assumptions, but there is no way that his meeting with her will be simple, or easy. Not that he necessarily would hate it if they never met.

But he always kept an open mind. Maybe he was wrong.