“Have you been sniffing the cleaning supplies again?” asked Bryn as she eyed her crazy best friend. It was most definitely NOT fate. 

“You know I’m right,” Carla scoffed waving her off dismissively. “What are the odds that your baby daddy show’s up here of all places?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Bryn huffed picking up the orders. “He’s probably just passing through,”

“Or here to stay,” Carla shouted after her as Bryn headed back to the table. 

“Here you go,” she said placing their food down. “Can I get you anything else?” she asked

“We need to talk,” Braedyn’s father said 

“Can’t, working” said Bryn 

“We’re good for now,” the man to his left said.

“Okay, enjoy your meal” Bryn smiled and walked away.

As Bryn once again headed back to the counter her grams gave a look that said they would be having a talk later. Bryn inwardly groaned, she did not want to have a talk with her grams. She knew what it was going to be about, Braedyn’s father. She had seen the pointed look that her grams had sent his way. A blind man would be able to tell that they were father and son and her grams was not blind. Thankfully though her grams decided that it was time for she and Braedyn to head on out. 

Braedyn’s father and his two friends stayed till Bryn’s shift was over. She placed their bill on the table and smiled, telling them to come again like a good little waitress. As soon as she cashed them out, she punched out. It was time to head home and try to put this day behind her. Bryn walked out of the diner and was surprised to see her son’s father leaning against the wall. Gosh, he really was a handsome man, dressed in a designer suit, tie loosened. His hair was deliciously mussed up, most likely from him running his fingers through it one too many times. 

“About that talk,” he said pushing off the wall. “Is he my son?”

“Yes,” Bryn replied, crossing her arms over her chest. “Can I go now?”

“We aren’t done yet,” he said “So, what? Now you’re gonna pin a kid on me?”

“What?” Bryn snapped “Are you kidding me right now? Am I going to pin a kid on you, seriously?!”

“Let me guess, now your going to run my ass for all the money you can get right? I mean, you can’t be making much with this job,” he said waving his hand at the diner.

“Oh, wow,” Bryn laughed humorlessly “For your information if I wanted to get money out of you for my son don’t you think I would have hunted your ass down five years ago? That would have been kind of hard since I didn’t know your name and I still don’t. I didn’t think I would ever see you again after that summer so, pardon me for not going to the ends of the fucking earth to find you.” she spat “I have never and will never need your money. I don’t work here because I need the money I do because I want to. Now, I am going to go home to my son. Goodbye,”

Bryn turned on her heels and walked away. She could believe the audacity of that man! How dare he think that she would try and pin his child on him just for money. Bryn didn’t know what kind of women he was used to dealing with but, she knew for a damn certain that she was nothing like them. Getting into her car Bryn sped down the road and to her grams house. Her grams was going to have field day with this once she got the story out of Bryn. 

She sat in her grams driveway breathing deeply. Bryn needed to get herself under control before she walked into that house. She did not want her son to see her the way she was. School her features Bryn stepped out of her car and walked into her grams home. Bryn could hear her son laughing as she entered the house, it was such a beautiful sound.