Lost on the Wind

"Why is Otec sad, Eli?"

Eli shakes their head.

"I don't know, Vivi. Now shush!"

Eli leans a bit closer to the railing, trying to hear what Matka and Otec are arguing about. I giggle as Eli's brown curls fall in their face. Eli glares at me, putting a finger to their lips.

The voices downstairs get louder, marking the start of an argument. Becoming interested, I lean closer to the railing to peak over the stairs like Eli.

"You don't have to leave, Bel. Please, don't leave!" Matka places a hand on Otec's arm, staring sadly at him.

He stares back, biting his lip.

"I'll lead the entire horde of Hell and quite a bit of Heaven's forces here if I stay, Iva!" Otec gestures around with his hands. "It's better for Eli and Vivian if I go."

Matka's lips start trembling, but she nods.

I frown, looking up at Eli.

"Where is Otec going?" I ask, poking their side.

Eli looks down at me for a moment.

"I don't know, Vivi. Now listen!"

I look back down at Matka and Otec. Matka is now crying as Otec hugs her.
He whispers to her and rocks them slightly back and forth.

His eyes flick up to where Eli and I stand at the second floor railing. He blinks.

"Eli, Vivi, come on down."

Eli's eyes widen and they go still. Ignoring them, I run down the stairs.

"Where are you going Otec?" I tug at his shirt while asking.

He understands, letting go of Matka to bend and pick me up.

"I'm going back to where I'm from, Sunrise." He tightens his arms around me.

I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Why?"

Otec sighs.

"Because I either go back on my own or they make me."

Footsteps sound on the stairs.

"Will you come back?" Eli asks, now standing beside Matka.

Otec's lips thin into a straight line.

"I don't think so, Sunset. Though maybe we'll meet again one day."

"How long is 'one day'? A year?"

He shakes his head.

"Longer than that, Eli. Quite a few years. You might not remember me."

Eli frowns, their eyes watering.

Otec puts me down and opens his suitcase, digging through it. He pulls something out and turns back towards us. He squats down to be near eye level with Eli and I.

"These are for you guys. Don't ever take them off, no matter what. It's important you have them on."

Otec holds out two necklaces, a ring, and a cuff style bracelet. He hands a bejeweled cross necklace and the cuff to me. Turning to Eli, her hands the other cross necklace and ring to her.

He meets each of our eyes.

"I'm serious. Always have at least one of them on. Even when you sleep."