"Yes and no" I shook my head. "I didn't mean to be so rude- guys. I'm sorry" I apologized. "I'm just mad at myself"

"Yeah, Dr. Nan wasn't too happy either especially since the girl had stabbed you when you fell" Thomas made a face.

"What a dick move" Ezra's lips thinned.

"How did you guys do?" I was even scared to ask. They looked at each other and I knew. "Just say it."

"We Ranked first" Thomas cleared his throat. He gave me a sheepish smile.

"You'll Rank next time" Ezra squeezed my knee. "You'll kick all of their asses"

I sighed.

"Guys, what if I'm not cut out for this" I lowered my voice. Thomas got up and closed the shades. "What if I can't Rank" the thought had been bothering me. "What happens- so far I'm not Guard or even Guardian material."

"Well they can't kick you out- being a Guardian is a lifelong commitment" Thomas smiled, but it looked forced. He was lying to me.

"You are lying, what do you know?" I crossed my arms. He knew too much for his own good.

"Our final test- determines if we are a Guardian or not- they just train us to prepare for it."

"What is it?" Ezra and I asked at the same time.

"Nobody knows- it isn't in any kind of literature. I have searched but nothing so far." Thomas made  a face.

"What if I fail it?" I stared down at my burned hands. "What if I'm not a Guardian" I blinked away the stupid tears.

"You aren't going to fail- we won't let you" Ezra grasped my wrist. "All three of us are going to get through this no matter what." I met his blue eyes. "I promise - Iris. We are in it together-"

I nodded but his words of encouragement weren't helping me. I still felt miserable. The boys wanted to stay with me but Nurse Gail kicked them out. I was glad she did because I didn't want them to see me cry.

I cried for two days. I refused to see the boys when they came to visit me. I told Nurse Gail to not let in anybody and thankfully she listened.

"Beating yourself up isn't going to help you" Nurse Gail came in. She checked up on me every hour or so. She probably thought I was suicidal.

I didn't answer. Ares was curled up next to me. I scratched his head as I stared out the window. It was raining.

It was fitting. I wouldn't be able to tolerate any kind of sun right now.

"I'll bring in something for you to eat, you need to keep your strength up."

Tears formed at my eyes again. I closed my eyes tightly. Ares let out a sad song. He was trying to comfort me.

I laid on my side, trying to ease off my sore back.

I sobbed into my pillow, unable to stop. I hated this feeling. I should have listened to stupid Byron. I hated that he had been right. I had wanted to prove him wrong and I hadn't even been able to do that.

It took me another day to finally let Ezra and Thomas in to see me.

"So are we allowed to come back in" Ezra asked me. He put a box of chocolate on my lap. I put it on the bedside table.

"Let me wallow in my misery" I grumbled. I curled up on my side. My back was aching. Nurse Gail said she wouldn't be able to keep the pain down. I had some nerve damage that needed to heal and that meant feeling some of it. My arm was healed but it was in a sling. My hands weren't as burned. Ares was slowly healing them.