Chapter VI | Queen of Love and Beauty

Melelna

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Melelna

Melelna spent the best part of the next four days in her chambers, patiently waiting for her wound to completely stop bleeding so she didn't have to wear the bandage around her neck. She only informed Belio and Aren about the incident so a panic didn't occur among the men who travelled with her from Oldtown. Amir, Ashara, Arthur and Rhaegar had kept her company during her time of isolation-the Prince always visiting when the festivities ended for the day, at nightfall. She'd missed his first two jousts against Lord Yohn Royce and Brandon Stark, but she'd attend tomorrow when he was to face Arthur. She'd been becoming more and more accustomed to Rhaegar's presence, looking forward to his visits-especially since he started bringing that elegantly carved harp with him and sang for her.

Tonight however, the Prince was wearing a frown on his usually pleasant face. "You should watch from the royal box where the Kingsguard will be able to guard you." Rhaegar repeated for the third time. Arthur was the Kingsguard he had commanded to trail her and stand at her door during the day, and since he'll be the Prince's opponent on the morrow's joust, he won't be available to be with her. Regardless, Melelna wished to join Oberyn and Ashara on the lower seats. Without Rhaegar or Arthur with her, she felt uncomfortable being seated in such a tight space with the crazy-eyed King.

She, of course, couldn't tell that to the Prince so she went with a half-truth. "Amir is more than able to keep me safe, and besides, Oberyn is going to be there too-" Rhaegar opened his mouth to protest again but she silenced him by raising an open palm. "And, even if I'm not inside the royal box, I will be seated next to it, surrounded by the royal guard and in close enough proximity to the Kingsguard to repel anyone from creating a scene."

Rhaegar sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It's not the Viper's duty to keep you safe." He insisted.

No it isn't. It's Rhaegar's duty as her future husband. Melelna couldn't stop her lips from curving the slightest bit. "Rhaegar, I know Oberyn can be...difficult but he means well. He's been kind to me since the very first day he met me in Dorne-a good friend." She took hold of both his hands and lightly squeezed to emphasize her meaning. As if he had anything to fear from the Dornishman. Couldn't he see she only had eyes for him since she'd laid them on his handsome face?

His gaze softened and Melelna knew she had won. "You are getting really good at having your way with me, you know. Some might think me weak." The Prince said, feigning mock concern.

"No one would ever take you for a weak man, my Prince." She assured him before lifting herself on her toes to plant a shy kiss on his lips. He'd been getting bolder with his advances during his nightly visits and Melelna started to feel confident enough to initiate contact as well. She'd missed the feeling of sensual touch. It's been two years since Lysandro and she hadn't dared to take another lover after what Nyessos had done.

Rhaegar took a few steps back and settled himself on the wooden chair by her bed, pulling her down with him to seat her on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her frame to lock her against his chest and his lips found hers again. Melelna savoured the feeling of being cocooned in his warmth and the lemon soap scent that always lingered on his skin. "What's your favourite colour?" Rhaegar murmured between kisses.