FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR | BASIC RULES OF GETTING WITH SOMEONE

__________

darling, you were never meant to be atlas; lay down the world for a moment. i promise you, it will not fall.

-heavy is the head that does not rest // p.s.

__________

Hands tingling, Jackie concentrated on the door in front of her. She held her breath as she placed her palm on the cool surface and pressed. Soon, the tingling sensation rushed through her body. She stepped forward and when she opened her eyes, she was no longer in her bedroom, but rather the hallway.

"Yes," she whispered, revelling in her small victory.

Slowly but surely, she was gaining control of this curse placed upon her. And though she was loathe to admit it, Dr. Owens had played a large role in helping her get a grip on what was happening to her. For the most part, she did have it under control... but that was only when she was completely calm. As soon as her emotions got a little rocky, all bets were off.

"Jackie!" Peggy's voice called cheerfully. "You have a visitor."

A stupid, blooming hope of that visitor being Steve took over Jackie's thoughts. She hated the crush she was beginning to develop on that stupidly handsome white boy. No way in the world would he ever see her the way she saw him.

Rather than Steve standing in her hallway, it was Shelly, prettied up and smiling widely.

"Wanna see a movie?"

"Sure," Jackie shrugged. She glanced down at her less than satisfactory outfit. "Just let me change first, okay?"

Shelly gave her a thumbs up. Muttering a quick 'thank you,' Jackie dashed back up the stairs and pulled out a pair of soft jeans and a navy blue sweater.

"Okay, I'm ready," Jackie called, hurrying into the front hall and simultaneously pulling her hair up into a ponytail.

"So, I lied to you," Shelly said, pulling out of Jackie's driveway. "We're going to a party."

"What?" Jackie asked, eyes wide. "No way, Shelly!"

"What do you have against a little fun?"

"Nothing. I just have a lot against drinking," Jackie exclaimed, reaching back and pulling her hair out of its ponytail.

"I never said you had to drink," Shelly shrugged. She glanced at Jackie and stuck out her bottom lip, batting her eyes. "Come on, please? It'll be fun, I swear."

"Who's house is it at?" Jackie asked after a moment.

"Kelly Pratchett."

Kelly was in the same physics class as Jackie. She wasn't super popular, but, being the student class president, she was well known throughout the school. Jackie found it hard to believe that she, of all people, was throwing a party when she seemed to have such a level head on her shoulders.