14. okay then

✵

"WE HAVE TO GO BACK", Nancy brought up after a few beats of silence, dropping the emptied gun onto the coffee table of the Byers living room. "We should never have left them."

"Go where?" Ringo asked, tilting her head as she lowered her axe and propped it up against the wall.

"The school, Mike and his friends and that girl are there, and-"

"That girl?" She interrupted, her eyes narrowed dramatically. "Is she, perchance, a little preteen with a shaved head? Doesn't talk much?"

"Yeah," Nancy answered confusedly, ignoring the looks of bewilderment Jonathan and Steve were throwing at the two girls for their casual conversation. "How did you know?"

"Oh my god, that little shit," Ringo ranted, rolling her eyes and stomping towards Nancy with a huff. "He brought her into the basement when he found her and we were supposed to tell Karen the next day but then he's like, 'oh Ringo! It's okay! She left already!' And now I find out he was just trying to exclude me!"

"Guys," Jonathan tried to butt in, ignoring the urge to roll his eyes as the two girls, who were stood there practically gossiping.

"What?" Nancy questioned with an open mouth, "you guys had a girl in the basement and didn't tell me?!"

"To be fair," Ringo grimaced at the incoming insult, "you're a bit... regal."

"Guys," Jonathan tried again, being completely ignored once more.

"Regal?" Nancy hissed in offence. "How regal is this then? Before you came, we helped Eleven into a kiddie pool in the school and witnessed her contact another realm!"

"What?" Ringo half-shouted. "You guys were getting freaky in a kiddie pool and didn't invite me? This is why I didn't invite you down to the basement!"

"Well, you ran away! And it wasn't even your name on the board!" Nancy threw her hands up in frustration.

"Guys!" Steve bellowed on Jonathan's behalf, receiving a look of appreciation as a result. Ringo and Nancy had stood toe to toe, their jaws firmly set and staring each other down. But now, they looked towards Steve in perfect sync, and seemingly snapped out of their childish behaviour.

"We have to go, come on Nancy I'll drive you," Jonathan offered, grabbing his keys and heading outside.

"Thanks," Ringo commented sarcastically, watching them bitterly as they stalked towards the car. "I'll just fucking fly then!"