“Miss, sorry to have made you cry,” cried the young nurse when she turned and saw tears running down Mari’s cheeks.

                Mari shook her head at the young nurse and tried to smile but failed which made her cry even more. She cried quietly, no sound came out of her tightly pursed lips as Mari tried to calm herself down. “I’m sorry for behaving so,” she whispered, “I’m okay now.” Mari pushed the young nurse away from her then wiped her eyes.

                The nurse watched Mari as she tried to gain control over her emotion. “Its okay to cry. My grandfather always told me a good cry relieves the pain somehow even if it doesn’t make it go away. I know it’s different than what most people say but, I bet once in a while someone out there indulges in a good cry.” Chance smiled with fondness in her eyes as she reminisced of her grandfather.

                “Your grandfather must have been a wonderful person. Thank you again, Chance. ” Mari turned away from her nurse as she tried once again to clear the fog from her memory. But it was in vain. No matter how hard she tried she keeps getting lost in the fog. No memory appears before her eyes, not even in dreams. The drugs had destroyed her past and Mari decided she will have nothing more to do with those horrible things. She can’t lose whatever that was left of her wonderful past no matter how painful they are now. She will cling to them and no one is ever going to get them away from her anymore. As she succumbs to sleep a dream crept in, it was so vivid she could almost believed it was real. She was with her family, Alistair, Tristan and little Amelie. They were running along the shores of Sun Kissed beach. They had finally found each other but when she looked at their faces there was nothing. Fear clutched at her heart and then that pain that wrenches through her soul making its way out towards her mouth as she screamed in agony at her faceless friends. She wanted to cry and shout and make them stop but she knew it was her doing. So, she slumped down on the beach as she sees them running away from her farther away until she can see them no longer.

                “I have lost them. Forgive me.”

                Mari woke up with a start as she felt hands patting at her cheek and some sweet voice calling at her name. She opened her eyes tentatively and saw the kind face of her young nurse. “Chance,” she smiled sitting up from her bed. “What time is it? Have I been sleeping too long?”

                “I’m glad I can see you smile today. I have a letter for you.” Chance took out a small envelope with a red rose imprinted on its upper right hand corner. “Your mother said it came from Sarah and this will help you get better.” Chance hoped it was good news because Miss Mari certainly needed one. But as she watched Mari reading on the letter with a frown appearing on her flawless forehead, her hope was crushed. “Is something wrong?” Chance asked.

                “No, nothing’s wrong. It was good news actually,” Mari said smiling but her eyes held no warmth and the frown remained on her forehead.

                “What’s it about?” Chance asked curiously, she might be able to help Miss Mari if she needed help.

                “Oh, its Sarah. She says she had found one of my friends from …” she stopped and closed her eyes pressing a finger on them. “I should be happy,” Mari muttered to herself but she could feel a nagging fear starting. She can’t put a finger on it but it doesn’t feel right. She must do something but she doesn’t know what to do. She looked at Chance with pleading eyes, “Help me.”

                Chance was about to say something when the door burst open and in came the doctor that was assigned to Mari. He took one look at her and he frowned, studying Mari’s chart. “You’re looking … exceptionally well, Miss Mari.”