Memory

Sorrow and pain forced Mari to commit suicide. Everyone in the family thought she was done for. The drugs would have taken her but she survived once again, much to her family’s disappointment. Nobody really wanted her, but the money that came along with fostering a kid was too much of a temptation to Gracilla’s family. At the time they were offered the kid, their flower shop was withering along with its flowers. They needed the money so they accepted the offer. They sent the girl to school and allowed her to do as she pleased. But never did they show her love nor care through Mari’s years with the family. There was one though who was close to her. Sarah was the youngest of Gracilla’s brood of eight. She is also Gracilla’s favourite. Sarah was a spoiled brat but not as insensitive as the others. She might always think of herself but once she puts you into her list of people that she loves, you’ll surely be pampered with all the attention and bossing around that you could ever wish for. But, when Sarah turned eighteen, she left without any word for anyone in the family except to Mari. A letter was left to Mari scrawled carelessly telling her that she will find the paradise Mari had been telling her about. It had been three years now and Sarah has not yet found it. It had also been a month now since she wrote to her. It made her nervous wondering what might have happened to Sarah. Maybe she found Sun Kissed beach, maybe she was lost or worse injured and dead.

                “Miss Mari,” whispered the young nurse to the charming lady with sorrow written on her downturned lips and creased forehead. “Miss Mari, its time for your meal.”

                Mari woke up startled and she looked at the young nurse in fear. Gradually, the events last night came to her and she broke into tears and sobs. The nurse embraced her tightly offering comfort although it was forbidden for them to do so. “Its okay, Miss Mari. We’re going to take care of you now.” The little girl patted the lady’s back wondering what made her want to end her years. Suicide was not very uncommon in the City. Most of them are people who have nothing else going on for them. No family, no friends, no money, no future, not even hope. Some are those who just like the easy way out.

                The young nurse laid the lady down and smiled reassuringly at her. “You are very pretty so you shouldn’t be sad,” she commented as she checked her vital signs. “I’m sure you’ll be prettier when you smile.” Mari smiled at the young nurse although sadness still clouded her eyes.

                “You are very sweet, thank you… What’s your name?” Mari said.

                “Thanks, and people call my Mini, because I’m small, but my real name is Chance,” answered the young nurse as she injects Mari with drugs that made people sleep for hours without dreams or nightmares. 

                “Beautiful name.” Mari utters as the drugs started to take effect numbing her senses from every pains she could possible suffer. “Do you know that it was chance that had led me to a paradise when I was young?” Mari closed her eyes and the nurse thought she fell asleep but the appearance of the smile told her otherwise. It was a timid smile and yet it had the effect of lighting up the woman’s face. The frown disappeared and the woman seemed to age backwards. When Mari opened her eyes there was a distant light shining through them. The young nurse was captivated and she stared at Mari unable to believe the transformation.

                “Paradise,” the young nurse whispered and bowed her head and turned to look out the window.

                “Yes, as far fetched as it may sound, in this world that we live in there exist still places hidden out there that mirrors paradise itself. I wonder if it still exists.” Mari’s memories of the past had been blurred. She can barely remember the faces of her companions. Worst of all, she can’t even remember how her twin looked like. Her only memory of him was the sound of his laugh and his name. “Tristan,” she whispered as tears cascaded once again from her sorrowful eyes and feeling that familiar pain deep down inside her that any drugs she take could not quite extinguish.