The start of something

"GO TO YOUR ROOM THIS INSTANT!!!"  my mom yelled as I stomped up the stairs into my poster covered room.

I looked over my collection of deinspirationals, I loved finding these things.  To every one of them I can place a memory, or a friend.  I guess that’s why I like them so much, I can relate to them.  None of them help this time though.

You see I had been minding my own business today, the one Saturday I had free this month.  When my mom started yelling at me.  I didn't catch the first half of the conversation but I did get that something had happened and the grin on my little sister Venda's face told me she was the real cause.  Needless to say I tried to fight back but to no avail.  It’s a sad world when a cute face can beat reason.

All well, I think as I head to my bookshelf and start back into the middle of my current book.  Having been half way when I started at about lunch I had finished that book and another before I realized that it was nearly dinner and my mom hadn't come up to apologize for yelling at me.

This meant one of two things for me, one is that she possibly forgot.  The second is that whatever Venda did was BIG and I wasn't gonna be coming down anytime soon.  Not wanting to get into another fight no matter the reason I just decided to stay upstairs and wait it out.

This was sadly to no avail, however, for it no one came in fact the next thing time I saw anyone it was five in the morning and my mom was standing over me waking me up.  "Get up honey, you need to pack your bags."  She had told in that type of gentle voice you use when you know that what your about to say is going to upset the person.  I was unfortunately too tired to notice this though.

Groggily I answered, "We going somewhere?" as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and then proceeded to get out my bag and pack.

"Just a small trip hun and don't worry about packing to much, you won't need that many things."  She told me still trying to hide something.

"Okay," I said still half asleep but my mind starting to come up with the possibilities as I packed. Was it possible that she realized that Venda was to blame and is taking me for a trip to repay me. No that would be too much to hope for besides, there would be no one to watch Venda sense our father died.  Could mom have finally gotten that big promotion her bosses keep promising her. No I don't think it would be so early in the morning then.  I wonder what it could possibly be.

I start to realize that whatever is going on its only going to be me when I put my bags in the car and see that they are the only ones, with mom waiting in the driver’s seat.  Still unsure I get in the passenger seat and we take off while stopping at Denny's, my favorite restaurant for breakfast food.

Not sure what’s going on still I try to talk to my mom, "Mom, where are we going."

Now that I'm more awake I can tell how she is trying to dance around the subject, "Oh it’s just a small trip dear and don't worry everything will be fine.  I have our neighbor looking out for Venda."

We both new she was avoiding something, and although I started to get a bad feeling in my stomach about what it could be I left it alone.  I've been trying to not upset her since father died, she isn't as level headed anymore.

The rest of the drive is fairly quiet, that is until I finally realize that the "small trip" is to a boarding school.

"What?! But why am I going to a boarding school?" I said surprised.

I could hear mom bursting into tears as she started to try and explain.  "I'm sorry honey, but you've just been acting out more and more ever since your father died and I have gone to everyone I could think of.  All of them suggested things but after you destroyed that manuscript, the only copy, I just had no other choice."

"B-b-but it wasn't me mom it was Venda, I told you I haven't been doing any of those things." I tried desperately to explain.

"I'm sorry honey but I just can't take it anymore."  She sobbed as she parked in front of the school and we got out to head to the dean’s office.