Chapter 10

A week had passed after the Solorius Festival, and during that space of time, Emerali had been thinking hard on many things. She had worked to push back her more emotional issue in terms of Devaen, and focused on the mystery of Bakren and the impending disaster that Qelin had alluded to. Also on the forefront of Emerali's contemplations was Etyanah's invitation to the Daevic Order. It seemed to be a good idea, despite Etyanah's seeming passion for little more than glory.

One day, while relaxing with her friends after a long day's work out on the field, Emerali declared her decision to them. "Of course, I don't expect you to join too," she had told them, "but I think this might be a good move. Who knows? Maybe I'll learn to be a better team player. And if I am to be a true leader someday, a good place to start is learning how to follow good commands."

Although dubious, bound by their loyalty to Emerali, Thori and Devaen agreed to join her and accept the invitation to the Daevic Order.

But from the very beginning, this alliance proved to be very trying. Of the forty members of the legion, only Cullis showed camaraderie and cordiality toward the three friends. Etyanah proved to be every inch the glory hound they thought she was, and the other legionaries were no different--all but a sorceress named Drella who had taken a caprice to Devaen, much to his annoyance.

Etyanah stationed the legion in Heiron and sent out several scouting teams, pairing Scouts with Mages to monitor the energy of opening rifts. Etyanah assigned Drella to be Devaen's partner. Drella glanced at Devaen and flashed her most seductive smile.

Devaen shot Emerali and Thori a helpless look. Smothering a groan, he took up his weapons and went after Drella, sighing gustily. "Aion help me..."

Emerali glared after Drella with disgust. She scowled and shook her head at Thori. "She couldn't be more obvious unless she ripped off all his armor and jumped on him," she remarked.

The teams hadn't been gone for more than a half hour when Devaen and Drella returned, flying as fast as their wings could carry them. On their faces was the look of true alarm.

"General Etyanah!" called Drella. "We bring disturbing news! The rifts from Asmodae to Elysea are not only open, but they are generating massive amounts of Aetheric energy. I think we're in for an Asmodian invasion we've not yet seen the likes of."

The other scouting parties returned reporting the same news.

"Great Ariel's Light! Well, there's no time to waste; I'm deploying parties of five. Get out there and do what you do best." Now Etyanah named the eight parties, separating the three friends in doing so, though they would far preferred to have stayed together. Emerali formed a part of Etyanah's party along with Cullis.

Etyanah's party set out toward Heiron Pass. Sure enough, they encountered a large group of invading Asmodians. A small troop of soldiers was trying to hold them back, but with little success.

"Charge!" cried Etyanah.

The Elyos collided head on with the Asmodians fiercely. The clash of steel, the twangs of bowstrings, the strains of harp music, and shouting of spells filled the air. The gray stones of the old ruins became splattered with the blood of both sides.

The battle was grueling, but at last it seemed that the enemy was being routed. The Asmodians were dropping. But as Emerali dealt a final blow to an adversary, she caught sight of one of them fleeing.

"That one's getting away!" she told Etyanah. "We should detain them and question them about the Aetheric energy spike. An invasion of this magnitude must have something behind it. What if this is part of some complex plot against Elysea?"