01 - Chapter One -

Dagger woke up early today, as it was a special day. One Dagger could say he had been waiting for, for a very long time.

Dagger could remember all the birthdays right until today, the last before Wicks awakening. The damn kid had grown into a perfect male, and Dagger found himself happy to have the male around. Inn's death had brought out many stories of Inn cheating and sleeping around. Dagger really wasn't that surprised when the stories came out, but he did his best in the face of the judgement to keep Inn's child away from the bullshit. Wick still seemed to get caught up in some of the drama surrounding Inn, but thankfully he had brushed it off and ignore it, mostly. There had been a few rough patches, but not as many as Dagger first feared and when things got rough Dagger pulled out his secret weapon, his father Risk.

Wick had been a brilliant child the rest of the time, but they were more like brothers than father and son along the way. Dagger was thankful for that. He was also very thankful that Wick looked nothing like his birth father Inn. He might not have been able to stare the kid in his face if he had.

Whoever was, Wick's father had wavy blond hair and amethyst eyes. They had been carried over to Wick. He was stunning. Dagger was the complete opposite to Wick. His hair was charcoal black and his eyes ruby coloured. Wick promised to be a stunning male in the first family bloodline once he was through his awakening. Even Prodigy, who came around after some time, seemed to be a little pleased.

Wick was already showing signs of the Awakening. He was pretty moody and didn't care to be awake. The headaches Wick had been getting were horrible, and they made him want to die. The only thing Wick wanted to do was sleep all day until the pain disappeared and his skin didn't feel six sizes too small all over.

Dagger was dressed in his white set of robes and left his room. Wick needed to be up so that his birthday celebrations could go on. Dagger couldn't smile when he knew what was going to happen. Prodigy would show up for his grandson's birthday and, like the last time, he would make horrid comments about his grandsons' eyes or hair. Prodigy was a little pleased by Wick's size and temper most times, but his looks were a far different story. Dagger hated it, but he made no moves to stop the male from coming to visit. It was far out of his hands; he had blood ties to Wick.
Opening Wick's door, the pitch-black cold air of the room hit him almost immediately as he called into the blackness.

"Come, Wick, you need to wake and get ready. You know your grandfather will be here shortly, and I want to get this part over as fast as possible."

Groans were all Dagger got back. He felt bad for dragging him out of bed for this, but it had to be done. Slowly, Dagger watched Wick get out of the bed. He was a tall male and had some muscles even before his awakening. He would be a massive male. Dagger was a fairly large male as well. He was six foot six inches; he was a happy mix of muscle and such that he was partly lean.

Dagger left Wicks' room, closing the door behind him. There was a chance that he might leave Dagger alone. Dagger, who had got used to the much younger male, felt his chest go heavy. Dagger's animus had never even shown up, but when he had met Inn, he couldn't deny the connection. But this is where the connection had got them. Inn was dead, and he was alone raising his husband's affair child. Regardless of that, Dagger thought of Inn all the time and how happy would he be to see the way Dagger had raised his son? Dagger was pleased with how Wick had turned out, given that he had no experience in raising a damn thing and often asked his own father for help.

Dagger was sipping coffee when Wick finally come down the stairs. He felt bad for the kid, this close to his awakening and having to deal with his shitty grandfather. Dagger shook his head softly when he saw what his ward was wearing. He was in the bottom layers of his robes and that was all. The black robes he usually wore were changed. Today he wore white robes, or at least the bottoms. Wick had never worn the white robes and the fact of how loose they were on his body had told Dagger that his ward had gone into his room and through his closet. Dagger knew this was all about to piss his grandfather off. Wick was of the first family and was deemed black robes to wear. It showed his status. Wick made it clear he cared little to none about his status as the first family.

"I don't fully understand why you're wearing my white robes. I think I have a clue, but you know as much as I know that will be the thorn in your grandfather's side."

"Perhaps I just want to see the older male squirm. Or maybe I just want a change."

"Either is an answer I am fine with. You are old enough to make that choice for yourself."

Dagger set his coffee down to grab the present he had got for his ward. When he came back, his empty cup sat on the table beside his ward. Wick had finished his coffee. Dagger knew better than to leave his coffee down. Wick had done this since he was a child, and even as an adult, he hadn't changed that habit.

Dagger had also noticed a bunch of strange things about Wick that had started a week before and slowly grew to be much more noticeable, such as what his ward was doing now. He felt Wicks' eyes on him, and it made him slightly uncomfortable. Wick had never spent so much time watching Dagger as he did in this week alone.

Dagger gave Wick the present and hoped it would make his day just a little better. Dagger just wanted this day to go smoother than all the rest of his birthdays.
He watched as Wick opened the box. Inside was the white diamond wrapped in much smaller amethyst stones set in a ring. It was common that the parent of the child would buy the child the colours of the house in a ring for their awakening.
Wick smiled as he slipped it on his middle finger on the right hand. He turned towards Dagger and smirked before he spoke.

"I always knew you liked me. I mean, you raised me, so you must."

That statement told Dagger what was on Wick's mind. Dagger understood he was feeling a loss. He was longing for an actual parent. He was longing for Inn or his unknown father.

"Of course I like you. You are still alive, aren't you brat?" Dagger said softly, Fluffing Wick's already messy hair.

"We know most of the reason I'm alive is that Risk wouldn't let you let me die." Wick taunted.

"There were a few times I thought about murdering you. Like when you beat up the neighbour's kids for stealing your toys, not just as a child, but as a young teenager."

"Don't forget about when I told my grandfather he was a cranky old relic in the middle of a holiday dinner."

"It was a public dinner! I was so pissed!"

"Risk was more than proud of me."

"Of course he was! He wasn't the one who had to deal with Prodigy after the event."

"It wasn't like I left you to deal with it alone. You just didn't like everything that I had to say!"

"You were causing problems!"

"Never. I was a great kid."

"Most of the time, yes, but you had your rotten moments."

"Fair enough."

"You have turned into a great man. Soon enough, you will be completely an adult and even the crusty relic won't have a damn say in anything."

"You're not going to get all sappy on me, will you? I don't think my poor heart will handle your feelings if you do." Wick teased.

"Oh bite off, you brat."

Wick rolled his eyes at Dagger's comment and felt uneasy with the thought of being a fully fledged adult. Wick might lose his complete shit if Dagger asked him to leave now. He doubted it would happen, but he really wasn't all that sure. Wick pushed down the urge to hug Dagger and ask him how things would be from here on out? He was uneasy to know Dagger's answer to that. Wick glanced at the clock. It was getting closer and closer to the time when his grandfather would show up and ruin everything.