46. The Return of the Missing Mother

Start from the beginning

"No, you're dead. You're no mother. You left your children what kind of mother leaves their child to behind?"

"It was all your fault. You put work before me. I came last in your life and I was tired of it. I had to leave you before I went insane."

"And you couldn't take us?" Carter finally whispered.

"I had no idea where I was going. I didn't want to put the three of you in any danger."

"So you preferred to neglect us of your motherly love? Unfuckingbelivable." Carter spatted.

I looked over at Dylan who looked frozen to his spot. He was not blinking for a second I thought he wasn't even breathing.

"I want to see my grandchildren."

"Oh no you don't. You have no right. You're not going to make those kids love you and then you walk out on them too." Carter said.

"Carter, I'm your mother you can't speak to me like that."

"Oh you lost that title the moment you stepped out of our lives."

"Dylan, you're not going to say anything." Karen finally directed herself toward Dylan.

"How dare you?" Dylan whispered.

"Oh, honey—-"

"No, I'm Mr.Dylan Maxwell to you. You're not my mother. You abandoned us. You're a monster and I don't want my kids associating themselves with you." Dylan spatted. His eyes were full of anger and hurt that it broke my heart seeing him like that.

"Dylan you have to understand." Karen pleaded.

"Oh no, I don't have to understand anything. You ditched us. You preferred yourself over us. Dad had to take on two roles, plus being head CEO. I grew up with resentment because of you. I blamed Dad you left us, but now I see that it wasn't dads fault. You made the decision yourself, and you were selfish."

"I don't think Dylan could have put it any better, mother." Carter said as he spatted out the word mother.

Libby walked in with Elizabeth in her arms. As she saw Karen she was taken aback.

"Is that my baby and my grandchild?" Karen asked. She began stepping towards them, but Carter beat her to her and took Elizabeth from Libby's arm and protectively held her.

Carter and his soft spot for his girl, Elizabeth.

"Mom is that you?" Libby asked in disbelief.

"Yes, baby it's me." Karen said as she attacked Libby with a hug. Libby didn't react her arms stayed to her side.

"You're so grown. You're beautiful."

"Yeah you know when years pass people tend to grow? But since you left us all these years you really couldn't witness it." Carter said.

"Carter, you're being unfair."

"I'm being unfair? You're really pushing it, lady."

Libby gently pushed Karen away and made her side towards Mr.Maxwell and hugged him. That was a punch to the stomach for Karen because her eyes began to water.

"You're not wanted here. I think it's best for you to leave." Mr.Maxwell said in his authoritative voice.

"No, I'm not leaving until I can tell you guys my side of the story and can hold my grandchildren."

"Ma'am I think it's best for you to leave. Clearly my family is upset, and I don't like seeing them like this. You've done enough as for my children you will not be holding them unless my entire family feels comfortable with it particularly Dylan since he's their father. Now I'm politely asking you to abandon the premise before I find the awful necessity to drag you out." I said.