45. A Gem

We waited for what felt like hours, but in reality, it was only like ten minutes.

"Family of Sebastian Maxwell." The doctor announced and I sprinted his way yelling that I was his mother.

"Sebastian should be fine. Whoever placed him to his side you were very smart because he could have choked on his own saliva. Sebastian has a bacterial infection, but we have placed him on medication that should help combat the infection. He is doing well right now you should be able to take him home in about two days."

I was crying.

Happy tears.

My baby was going to be okay.

"Hey baby, he's going to be fine," Dylan said as he soothed my back.

"I know these are happy tears my baby is going to be okay." I sighed.

"I should have known better," Carter mumbled.

"Will you please stop blaming yourself? How were you suppose to know that he had an infection? You're too dumb to know that." Dylan said.

"Is this your way of making me feeling better?" Carter asked.

"Yes, so you better take it." Carter cracked a smile.

"Not that I want to start anything, and I do appreciate you helping my son when he was seizing but what were you doing at my house?" Dylan asked. He beat me to it because I was dying to know what Alec was doing at my house so late.

"I came to talk to you guys."

"About what?"

"About the current situation."

"Okay, I think we should talk about this outside or even in the cafeteria," Dylan said.

Dylan, Alec, and I made our way to the cafeteria the walk was awful. He was silent not and it was not your comfortable silence.

We all took a seat and Alec was the first one to start speaking.

"I am stepping aside for good. I think you guys have been through enough, and I know that Dakota does truly love you unlike me. Dakota, I know you love me, but not in the way you love Dylan. That's the soulmate kind of love. Your love towards me was that of a friend. I think it is best if I just step aside and let you guys be happy. Both of you deserve that happiness and who am I to interfere with it? I only ask for one thing in return. Please do not push me out of the kid's lives. I have grown to love them, and I will like to be there for them. I would like to be there for every milestone. Before you think I'm still trying to stick my nose in your life Dylan please know that I am no way trying to confuse them by making them think I'm their father. They can think of me as the cool uncle or something around those lines. Regardless of me not being in your life as your lover Dakota I still want to be your friend. Well, actually yours to Dylan. I think we have more in common than you think." Alec offered a weak smile.

"I appreciate what you have done for Dakota and the kids Alec. I am in no way impeding you from visiting the kids and partaking in their life. I have been an ass with you I have to admit, but I do appreciate you keeping her safe and my kids. I know you love her, and I don't blame you she's a gem. All I ask is that you respect boundaries, and do not try to be sneaky behind me and continue to pursue something with my wife. I respect you as a person, and I will like for my kids to have someone who seems to truly love them around. As for friends I am not completely opposed to the idea, we can get drinks sometime soon and I can be your wingman." Dylan chuckled.

"Thank you I truly appreciate it. As for the drinks, they will have to wait. I got a new offer for a movie and I will be gone for a few months."

"Alec---" My voice began to crack.

"You don't have to say anything Dakota." Alec weakly smiled.

"No, I do. You are an important part of my life. You became my pillar if it wasn't for your unconditional love and support god knows I would not have made it when Dylan went missing. You mean so much to me, and I do love you. I will always love you. You are very dear to my heart, and of course you can be part of the kids and my life I would not want to have any other way. The kids adore you, and so do I. I know there is the right woman out there for you, and let me tell you she's going to be so unbelievably lucky. You are a gem, and I was fortunate and blessed enough to receive your love. I do not know what I did in this life to deserve you."

"You really have yourself a gem, Dylan. Don't fuck it up." Alec smiled.

"Never again. It's her and I until death to us apart and even after that."

"I have to go now. I have a flight to catch. I wish both of you endless happiness I'll be back soon."

"Thank you again for helping my son out. I owe you big time, man." Dylan said as he streched out his hand for Alec to take it.

"You don't owe me anything." Alec said as he shook it. I stood up to give Alec a huge hug.

"Be happy. Enjoy your family. I wish you nothing, but the best." He whispered in my ear and kissed my cheek. I let go and he left.

I had not realized that I was crying. I quickly wiped my tears.

"He's a good guy. I'm genuinely glad that he was there when I was gone."

"He's a great guy. He kept me sane when you were gone. He helped me with the kids, and helped me continue my work. He's only one of a kind."

"He'll find someone. Not as great as you, but close enough." Dylan said as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I truly hope so. If anyone deserves it it's him."