Chapter 1

I remember when I first met her; I fell in love with her eyes – piercing blue. It felt as though they could see into my soul. I knew what would happen if she were to see me, she’d question everything that I knew and I’d answer her with nothing more than nod. But there she was standing her hands in her coat pocket staring at the sign of the diner the bright lights illuminating her skin pale yet it was the right kind of pale not the one that made her look sickly but the one that made her look beautiful, at least to me.

 I could see she wanted only a bite to eat and by what she was wearing, I could tell she just came from some place far away from the small town of Oakdale. I knew I shouldn’t have gone to her but she was too helpless. She seemed lost, alone and worst of all abandoned.

Staring at her, I noticed a cloaked figure slowly approaching her with his hands on something that looked somewhat like a gun, instinctively; I ran towards him and tackled him to the ground before a startled scream pierced the air. Within seconds, I found myself protecting her from the masked man. My hands on his throat I nearly choked him to death, but I knew better I knew it wasn’t time for him to die, I knew I could have made him beg for mercy but I didn’t, I knew I could make him suffer in the not so distant future. I knew this for after all I was none other than “Death” himself.

I grabbed the man’s collar and released him from my grasp before I saw her raise her gun up at me. Stunned I backed away just before the man ran away. Her eyes met mine, her’s piercing blue mine deep almost black. There was stillness in the air, until she broke the silence.

Lowering her gun, she spoke “Why did you do that?”

“Why did I save you?” I said “Because I could never live with myself if you were to die.”

“But how did you know he was about to do? How did you notice him?”

Had I told her that I was staring at her, she would have thought I was someone perverted  so I decided to go with my gut.

“I just did” I replied as casually as I could.

“Well aren’t you my knight in shining armour? Come to save me from my death I suppose?”

“I assume you’re replying sarcastically?”

“Yeah” she replied with glances at the diner in between.

“And might I add why do you have a gun?”

“I’m travelling alone searching for a place to call home” as she spoke, I could hear her voice crack just a little.

“Why?” I asked. “You know typical teenage drama,” she said. “Nothing you should know about anyway.”

I knew it wasn’t typical I could somehow feel how she felt- scared and anxious. I could feel her soul restless, searching for an answer. I don’t know to what, exactly but I guess even while being who I am I can’t just read people’s minds but I can often feel what they feel and in this case it was extreme pain, anger and hurt.

“Would you like to go in?” I asked pointing at the diner.

“I don’t have any money to pay for it” she replied sounding more annoyed rather than depressed.

“It’s okay I’ll pay” I spoke knowing that she was desperate for a bite.

“You’d do that for me? I don’t even know your name. How am I supposed to let you pay for dinner? ”  

"For starters would you tell me your name?" "It could be the only thing that's keeping me from knowing who you actually are" I said desperately trying to hide the enthusiasm in my voice.

"Amber Lynn, what's yours?”

Ah, finally that dreaded question that struck like lightning. Do I tell her the truth? Do I tell her what I tell everybody else?

"Derek" I said.