1. First Gene

*I've been busy with my work and failed to update my other story(Chaos World), though I'm working on the next chapter.

This story is just a pass time and actually not my focus. It is sort of a fan-fiction inspired from two books i'm reading in a separate website from wattpad. This is a free taste for those who like my stories. Thank you and God bless!

--===================================================================--

In front of a huge building stood a young man, 16 -17 years old. The structure was outlined skillfully and had a logo of a double helix DNA strand. Beneath the logo is the name "Gene Bank".

"This is it! I finally have the money to buy my very first gene ability!" He said.

After exhaling a warm breath, he strode towards the entrance of the building. He smiled at the guards though they ignored him. "Someday, I'll be a geneticist too." He thought.

"Genetic era" is what people call this time. It was the result of a mistake people in the past did when the powerful nations started using bioweapons. Fate has played a role too. The fearsome 'continental shift' happened and amid chaos, military bases, where those nuclear bioweapons were stored, exploded and got destroyed. Resulting in the double catastrophic and irreversible damage to the world.

The young man walked and arrived in front of the information desk. "What can I do for you?" The beautiful woman behind the desk asked.

"I'm here to buy some gene ability." He replied.

"First time?" The young man nodded in response.

She pushed some buttons on her pad, then a holographic projection of a woman appeared. "Please, follow me." The hologram said.

They arrived at a cubicle. The hologram gestured for the young man to get inside. He knew what it was and excitedly stepped in it. The metallic door of the cubicle closed and a green light started to shine.

[Scanning...] a robotic voice of a woman sounded. [Height, 5 feet 7 inches, Mass, 30.1 Kilograms, Fitness, Satisfactory, Blood Pressure, Normal...] the voice enumerated the results of the scan.

The young man stood there silently, waiting for the scanning to complete. After several minutes, [Scanning complete. Please state your name.] it said.

"Joshua Pimm," He replied.

[Record found. Creating gene code...]

After three minutes, [Gene code created, 125744-JP, Status, unevolved, Mutation, None, Gene Slot, 1...]

After the setting, the entire cubicle lit up and a series of boxes appeared around him.

[Welcome to Helix Gene Bank! We make your dreams come true. Please place your hand in front of you. Thank you.] A woman's pleasant voice said. Joshua followed the instructions.

[Print scanning commenced... completed. Please choose a gene.]

Countless gene strands appeared around him. He then started to look for the gene he wanted to have. After several minutes, he finally found it.

[Herculean Strength Gene, picked...

Gene type, Strength enhancement.

Gene Effect, gain strength equivalent to 6 elephants.

Gene costs 600 strands.]

After choosing his desired gene, the female robotic voice announced,

[Extracting required genes... extracted...