three

Peter's POV

I decided not to tell (Y/n) about HYDRA being outside her door. I didn't want her to worry. Now, it was my job to protect her.

"Hey Pete," (Y/n) said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I was standing at my locker, staring at a notebook inside.

"Oh, hey (Y/n)," I said, grabbing the notebook and closing my locker door.

"Do you maybe want to go to the comic store later today?" She asked. She seemed unsure.

"Oh, uh, sorry. Stark internship," I said. She sighed and walked in a different direction. She didn't seem mad, just disappointed.

I really wanted to spend time with her, but I had to keep my distance. I had to watch her from a distance, I mean. Those HYDRA soldiers saw me, and they probably somehow reported back to HYDRA about me. If they saw me with (Y/n), they'd take advantage or something.

It really doesn't make sense, but I had to keep my distance and watch from afar.

"Dude, you need to stop blowing (Y/n) off. She's pissed," Ned said, walking up next to me.

"I know, Ned," I said, getting annoyed. Ned and I had this conversation constantly.

"I know you just hung out with her, but you need to hang out with her more often. She probably thinks something is up," Ned explained. I shook my head and walked into my third period class.

"Ned, you know I can't do that. If she finds out I'm... who I am, it could put her in so much danger," I said, sitting at my desk. Ned sat next to me, and the bell rang.

(Y/n) was normally in this class, but she wasn't there. Weird, since I saw her two minutes ago.

The teacher closed the door and began teaching, and I racked my brain for reasons on why she wasn't there. Maybe she was just late? That's probably what it was.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. It was the principal. The teacher stepped out and talked to him for a couple minutes.

"Wonder what that's about," Ned mumbled.

I tried using my super-spider hearing, but didn't get much. All I got was "gone", "home", and "quiet". It didn't make any sense.

The teacher opened the door and walked back in, acting like nothing happened.

"What happened?" a random kid asked.

"None of your business, Cole. I'm going to continue the lesson," he said, seeming a bit uneasy. I looked at Ned and we exchanged a concerned look.

I just decided to pay attention to the lesson. We were learning about different chemicals, and it was probably important that I listened.

After class, Ned and I had study hall. We met up in the library.

"Okay, what do you think happened with the principal?" Ned asked, sitting at a table.

"No idea. Do you know where (Y/n) is?" I asked, sitting across from him.

"She texted me and said she was going home. Something about not feeling so good," Ned said with a shrug. My shoulders relaxed.

"Why didn't you tell me that?" I asked.

"Figured you didn't need to know. You wouldn't talk to her today anyways. You're icing her out, Pete. You only talk to her when she starts the conversation," Ned explained. I sighed and dropped my book on the table.

After a long and boring day of classes, I decided to go to (Y/n)'s house. To make sure that she's okay.

I walked out of the high school building and down the street to the subway station. (Y/n) and I both took the subway home, but we took different trains. Today, I took her train.

Aunt May loves (Y/n), so she wouldn't mind if I went and checked on her. I got onto the train and sat down, surprised that there were still seats open.

The train started to go, so the doors closed. My train ride was fairly short, but I know (Y/n)'s was longer. Not too long, but not short either.

I took out my phone, and saw that I had a missed text from Ned and a missed call from Mr. Stark. Stark? He never calls me.

Ned: uhhhh peter we may have a problem

Peter: what is it?

Ned: meet me at (y/n)'s house

I started to panic. What was the problem? Was she okay? So many thoughts crashed into my brain at that moment, that I almost missed the stop.

I stood up and scrambled out of the small train and into the station. I pushed past people until I got out, and then took in a breath of fresh air.

It's okay Peter, she's probably just really sick or something. Everything will be okay.

I took another deep breath and started to walk to (Y/n)'s house. I wasn't paying attention to anything except my feet hitting the concrete.

I loved (Y/n). If something was wrong with her, it would break me.

I eventually got to her street, and then I ran to her apartment building. I saw Ned sitting on the step, tapping his foot.

"There you are. Do you have a key?" He asked, standing up.

"Yeah, I think so," I said, taking my keys out of my backpack. I flipped through the keys on the keychain to find (Y/n)'s key. She gave me a special one when we were 13. It was painted a bright red, so I'd always know. I gave her my key too, but it was just painted black.

I opened the main door to her apartment building and walked in, Ned following. We went up the stairs to the fifth floor, and then stopped at her door.

I fumbled with the keys and then put her key in the door, slowly opening it. I slowly crept in, Ned following.

"(Y/n)? You here?" Ned called out. No answer.

Ned closed the door and I walked into her room. No sign of (Y/n). Her phone was on the table, her backpack was laying on the side of her bed, and her TV was on, playing her favorite show.

It's like she just... vanished.

Ned went into the kitchen and other rooms to look for her, and I scoped out her room. She wasn't in the bathroom, on the top bunk, or anywhere in the room.

Ned came back in and reported the same thing.

"Ned, what's happening?" I asked. Suddenly, I got a call from Mr. Stark.

"Yeah?" I asked, answering the call.

"Kid, please tell me you know where your friend (Y/n) is," he said, sounding frantic. Tony has never met (Y/n), but I told him a lot about her. He's always wanted to meet her, but I didn't want that to happen. Tony would probably set up a date for us or something.

"I don't. Do you?" I asked.

"Um, no, and that's my problem," he said, sounding anxious.

"What? Why? What happened to her?" I asked, getting anxious myself.

"She was taken, kid. She was caught on security cameras walking home and being kidnapped by someone. Since her part of town is so quiet, no one saw," Mr. Stark said.

"Oh man. Oh man, oh man, oh man," I said, sitting on the bed.

"Hey kid, calm down. We'll find her. We have everyone down here looking for her. Bruce, Steve, Scott, the whole shabang. You remember them from Germany, right?" He asked.

"Y-Yeah, I think so," I said. I could tell he was just trying to calm me down, but I wasn't having it.

"Don't worry. We'll find her."