"No... I... I don't think you do. Jace is apart of me. Through a room, we are both physically and emotionally connected. If he dies a part of me dies too and I know he's out there and he's in trouble and there's not a damn thing I can do about it." He started to walk away in frustration. 

"Tell me what I can do, what Elena and I can do."

"Help me track Jace. I wanna use our rune. I just need your magic for the pain."

"I can't help you with this."

"Why not?"

"The last time it nearly killed you." 

"Why can't you do this one thing?!" Alec was yelling now. I flinched involuntarily. Magnus didn't deserve to be yelled at. It wasn't our fault that Valentine had gotten to Jace and forced him to follow him. Jace knew what he was doing and he was trying to save his Parabatai and Clary. "After everything I've done for you?" Alec continued to yell at Magnus and I felt as if I was invisible to the two. 

I was about to just walk away like Alec when Magnus stopped me. 

"Ok Cupcake what's wrong with you? Don't think I didn't notice the changes in you." I looked him in his eyes and I felt my eyes turn violet as I started to cry. 

"I... I just. UGH. I just feel like I haven't had the time to grieve about Ragnor's death. Then on top of it all, I'm still hiding who I truly am from some people and... and... There is just so much weighing me down and I honestly can barely handle it." I gripped his jacket tighter. "I'm not as strong as I pretend to be and now I have to be strong for Alec because his parabatai is gone and I just don't know what to do anymore." My body shaking as I felt my chest constrict. I was struggling to breathe suddenly. 

"Cupcake. Cupcake I need you to take a deep breath." I was barely focusing on the fact that Magnus was holding on to me. "Elena! Focus on my voice." His strong commanding voice shook me but it wasn't enough to get me to stop. "Elena what are four things you can see?"

"What?"

"Name four things you can see." 

My voice breathless as I spoke. "You, uh... uh, I can see lights. I can my shoes, um I can see the floor." My body was still shaking.

"Ok good now three things you can hear." 

"Your voice... Um, uh, the traffic and sirens."

"Almost there Darling. Now two things you can smell?"

"Your cologne and smoke."

"Now one thing you can taste."

"The salt of my tears." My labored breathing was slowly returning to normal. 

"You're going to be ok my Darling," Magnus spoke softly as he kissed the top of my head.

When we headed back inside I took notice of the look on everyone's faces. What had happened while I was having my own personal meltdown? 

The only person I could find was Lydia.

"Hey, what happened?"

"Elena, where have you been the Institutes on Lockdown." She lightly scolded me.

"I was on the roof. Wait, why is the Institute on lockdown? Aren't you in charge?"

"Not anymore. Maryse went behind my back and the Clave named a man Victor Aldertree in charge."

"Well I haven't even met the guy and by your tone of voice, he's probably an ass. So why did he put the Institute on lockdown?"

"He thinks he needs to talk to everyone who was involved in the last mission Jace went on before he can effectively look for him." I didn't like the sound of that. Something told me the outcome was not going to be a good one. "Hey, you ok? Your eyes are a little red."