Meet Artemis

During the battle
She picked up the white-hot poker from the fireplace.

She looked one last time at her Dark Mark, and closed her eyes, bringing the glowing metal closer. The scorching poker met her skin and a sickening sizzle with a smell of burnt flesh came.

"The Heir Of Slytherin does not own me anymore"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was unlikely that the annual Sorting Ceremony could be known as strange by the wizards, but being called a freak in the school of wizards was worse.

A Muggle born first year, Artemis Kyle was bored. Why was this important? Because witch as she may be, Artemis was very fond of the ranks and cliques in each society. It was a pattern she saw everywhere, ants just trying to climb a chain of power to the top just to realize it had no end.

Piss off, purebloods Artemis thought.

She was an ordinary girl, dark brown eyes and matching curly locks that were coloured brightly in blue, green, and purple. Her love for punk and gothic trends was visible through the roughly worn eyeliner and tacky jewelry. Under her robes, she was wearing a black Guns 'N' Roses shirt with a red leather jacket and black skinny trousers, topping it off with comfortable sneakers. The only peculiarity were the black snakes tattooed on her wrist that were the reason for long sleeves, and having moving 'birthmarks' wasn't very subtle in terms of fashion.

The boats reached the docks and the students were ushered out, Artemis heaved her knapsack up and slipped into an alley, too curious to just follow the rules. It may have been foolish to go alone, but she had little to no friends from the train ride to roaming around alone in Knockturn Alley like a lost puppy.

  She had made more enemies than friends in Knockturn Alley, truth be told. A thin man with sallow skin, shoulder length raven hair and flowing black robes had ignored her when she asked for directions using gestures, since he was too busy looking at her snake tattoo. A handsome pale-blond boy her age told her to go home and called her a 'mudblood' until he saw her tattoo, making him squint in confusion before walking away. Similar reactions were given to her from more strange looking people, making her cover her wrists. Luckily, a large black dog led her to Diagon Alley.

She had been living in an inn, until the day to attend Hogwarts came. Wizard money wasn't a problem for her, since her parents had given her the key to their Gringotts vault, the least they could do after deciding to send her alone. With her books already sent to Hogwarts and her wand yet to be made, she wandered. So now she decided that going alone was smarter for her. She wasn't completely alone, though. Her black husky, Wolfgang, walked beside her loyal as ever, reading her thoughts to communicate. His green eyes looking for any indications of harm towards his owner.

"You know, Wolf. I've been lately thinking of setting you free" She spoke in her thoughts to the dog, her American accent sounding strange. "I mean, you've just known me for nine years, I could be a psycho for all you know" she grinned savagely at him.

The dog gave her a look that would be known as "Seriously?"

It may have been foolish to
think to a dog, but it was still better than sulking in dark thoughts and fear. She saw a giant archway. maybe the backdoor of the castle.

"And what do you think you're doing, girl?" She was brought back to her thoughts as she saw the man that had so rudely ignored her request for directions in Knockturn Alley.

"A student, I lost my way" She signed. The man grimaced in confusion, until she pointed to her tongue and shook her hand to indicate she couldn't speak.

"Hurry along then, we have enough students running around using their own heads"

Artemis walked away, pointing the finger being his back and hissing a swear word.