Long time no see

CHAPTER 2

Zahra

Walking towards him seemed like forever. I thought of how he might look at me. What he might say. Will he be happy to see me? Or will the worst memories of me fill his mind and cause him to be angry with me again? A lump grew in my throat.

As I walked up behind him I could smell him. He smelt like vanilla body wash. I remembered how he used to boast about buying it from Avon, how much he loved it. It made me smile, then I remembered what I was about to do.

“Hi”, I said softly tapping him on his back.

When he turned around I saw the smile he had before be replaced by a shocked look.  My heart began to race. I was scared. I panicked and blurted out “You smell nice.” I felt dumb. I shouldn’t have said that. I hated myself at the moment.

“Zahra!” he said. I was too dumbfounded to speak. I felt like if I was choking. He realized this and continued speaking.

“Long time no see! How are you? Things alrite?”

I managed to speak and answered politely, “Yea… great”

Then there was that awkward silence that I feared. After a few seconds he took the initiative to continue speaking. “I’m just getting some money for Lil’ man, he wants to go his friend’s birthday party so I’m helping him out” He waved his wallet in the air while saying this.

“Oh, who’s Lil’ man?”

“My son”, he replied. My heart sank, I don’t know why but it did. I tried to not let him see my sadness so I focused on keeping a smile on my face.

I nervously smiled back.

“Okay, well I have to go” he said hastily, “You can call me if you like alrite? Same number, nice seeing you” and he walked away, out the bank and far away from me.

I became infuriated with myself. I didn’t want him to leave. I wanted to hug him, kiss him. Tell him sorry. On the way home I played our short conversation over and over in my head. I thought of things I should have said and done.  How different it could have been. Then I remembered what he said about Lil’ man. I began to wonder if he was married. If they were happy. If he was happy. Was he thinking about me now?

Is he too busy being to even waste a second on me? Even more regret filled me. I became even angrier with myself for ever letting him go. For allowing us to break apart.

Please comment an vote if you liked it! will continue writing soon :)