Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

  Midoriya nods, grinning at Jirou's explanation. "He's so awkward and oblivious that it's hilarious, especially with how serious he is."

  "So basically Todoroki?"

  "Me?"

  They all give Todoroki a glance. "Yup. Uraraka's right," says Mina. She's grinning at the dual-element quirk user. "He's awkward, oblivious, and serious."

The small group conversation is interrupted when Kota—the small child who had tried punching Midoriya and the one who knocked Mineta off the fence—comes waltzing up to the former mentioned teenager. He grasps the scarred hand and tugs on him to follow. "Mandalay, I'll be taking Izuku from you!"

"Kota—wait, Izuku?" she questions finding the situation strange. The whole calling some hero (someone that he has shown great hatred for since meeting) by their first name is what took her aback.

"Yes. Izuku." He makes a show in motioning to the older Champion. "I'll be taking him. I'll bring him back in a bit. I just need to ask him a few questions."

A few people gape at him for quite a while since—like Mandalay—know that the child is not a fan of Midoriya or anyone there. Not even waiting for her response, Kota tugs on the older Champion, who stumbles a bit but allows him to drag him somewhat. In response to the stares, Izuku shrugs and sends them a reassuring smile. He doesn't even know what is going on, but apparently, it's important enough to be dragged out of training.

  It isn't even past ten minutes when he comes back looking like he just doesn't know what to do with life. He doesn't elaborate on what Kota wanted but the kid is happy and reading something that Mandalay or any of the Pussycats don't recognize. "He's so mean," he whines comically, shaking his head with a pout as a show that he hit him. He laughs with a few of his friends as he starts catching up with his missed training.

Once the day gives away to the night, Ragdoll explains to them that they will be having a test of courage. Aizawa waits as his remedial students express their happiness before having to take them for their night class. He mentally grins at the reactions of his students before telling them that they need to stop whining.

  "What mad banquet of darkness," murmurs Tokoyami. Uraraka and the girls glance at each other with grins at hearing that phrase. They find it funny and adorable at the same time.

Shouto watches, his eyes never straying from them. He sighs and returns to listening to the heroines explain everything. Somehow he ends up being Bakugou's partner to go into the forest. He sighs, listening to the class complain about who they're paired up with (no one louder than Bakugou). The only one alone is Midoriya. Shouto glances at him but all he sees is the same guarded expression that he himself wears all the time. The boy with the yellow horned, red cap is staring at the green-haired teenager. They seem to have a silent conversation that the son of the number two hero can't seem to decipher. The two mirror each other's expressions before the child leaves with a nod. That is . . . strange. What is going on between them? They're too serious right now.

  Shouto decides to watch but he doesn't get too much of a chance to since his team is second to go in. All he hopes is that nothing is bad and the two are just trying to be serious so that no one has a clue on what they're planning.

Everything is going okay.

It's the calm before the storm.