Chapter Thirteen~The Survivalist

Начните с самого начала

Edward couldn't help but stutter next. "I- I know. I understand. I'm a bit surprised that Carlisle told you such a thing."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"'Cause you're the only one he's told that to."

Marianna's brow shot up. "You're not serious. Surely he would tell somebody of his thoughts."

"Aye," he said. "You'd think, but that ain't the case."

"What's the case then?"

"I'm not sure."

Edward found it difficult to interpret the relationship between the two sailors. After all, he was positive that Carlisle hadn't figured out 'Percy's' secret, but he was also sure that the captain had his own suspicions. Then why was it the Captain had attempted to forge such a close relationship with the sailor?

It miffed him, and he also pondered whether or not 'Percy" was aware of it.

From the looks of it, he'd say she wasn't.

"Hey," she suddenly called for his attention. She'd been sucked into her own reverie about the captain, but she decided that now was not the time for such thoughts. "Give me a boost to the tree, will yah?"

Her arm extended toward a particular tree overhanging the rest. Edward followed her point and her gaze toward a branch. "You're pulling my leg, right? You don't just go climbin' trees, mate. Especially since you've got that nasty sprain." He gestured toward her ankle, to which her bottom lip jutted out in a pout at.

"I'm perfectly fine, now quit your whining and give me a damn lift." She had already limped her way to the tree and stood before it, waiting for Edward to get into position. With a reluctant shake of the head, he did as he was asked.

It's true then. Never disagree with a woman unless you want 'em to bite yer head off. He almost chuckled at his thought as he clasped his hands together for Marianna to place her foot on. She did as such, surprising Edward with the weight that followed. Seems she wasn't as scrawny as she looked, which was also proven as her arms sought out a branch and she pulled herself to it, not once placing her sprained foot on the tree to get a hold.

Once she stood on the branch, she looked down at Edward with a triumphant smirk. "See? Perfectly fine."

"Alright, alright. Just get to what you were doin'." The sound of Marianna's light laughter followed his words, and soon after she continued her climb. Edward watched each careful step she placed, finding himself admiring each precise movement she made. With the strength and agility he hadn't expected from her, she pulled her way up the tree without once placing pressure on her injury. Finally, to his disbelief, she found herself at the top of the extensive tree.

"Do yah see anything?" He cupped his hands over his mouth and called up to her. For a moment she was silent as she took the time to survey her surroundings. For the most part she saw fruitful trees, and overhanging cliffs in the distance. She failed to notice any sign of running water of the sort, or anything else of use for that matter.

"Nothing of-" She cast her eyes downward for a split second the catch the black streak through the bushes near Edward. From her spot above she saw a long black tail lash back and forth, followed by a snarl. "Watch out!"

Her alarm was too late. In the next moment Edward was taken by surprise by the black leopard that suddenly thrust itself upon him. He let out a call of alarm as the cat slammed into him and pinned him to the jungle floor. They tussled for a moment, and in the same moment Marianna had begun her descent from the tree.

With her panicked movements her injury clipped the sides of the tree painfully, almost causing her to cry out. But thoughts of what was going on down below pushed her onward until she was only meters above the situation.