Chapter Fifteen [Tanner]

Tanner had never waited tables, balancing items was not his forte. He did his damn best though. He fumbled through the halls with his car keys, Azrael's bag full of comfy clothes, their dinners, folder full of information about the new house, and cream puffs he'd made a special stop for in the hopes they'd soften the blow of said new house, all while leaving one hand free to open the door to her hotel room.

Maybe cream puffs were a weak apology for 'I bought a house without your say-so', but seriously, he could back out! It would be fine. Just another bump in this hellish week.

"A relatively small bump, all things considered," Tanner mumbled to himself as he slid the card key into the door, then listened for the tell-tale whir and beep of the latch coming undone.

Balancing items was not his forte, but that wasn't the reason he dropped everything when he stepped through the door.

The scene in front of him seemed surreal. His lovely wife, limp and barely conscious, in the arms of someone else. Not just any someone else. Motherfucking Alan. His first thought was that she had been cheating. His second was that there was no way in hell. There was something so very wrong here. Not only Alan in Azrael's room, holding her, but the way tears streamed from her unfocused eyes and her lips moved, like she was trying to speak.

'Please', he thought he saw her whisper. No, this was nowhere close to cheating. She was in trouble and, knowing Azrael, she had used every last bit of energy trying to fight. There had to be a way out of this without any secrets coming to light, without Azrael taking any more damage. God, she didn't look like she could take any more damage.

"Alan," Tanner said, careful and calm, "I'm going to need you to put her down." The door shut behind him, leaving the three of them separate from the world.

"Let us go and nobody has to get hurt." Alan took a step forward.

"It seems someone's already been hurt." Tanner raised his hands above his shoulders and turned his head a little bit, even averting his gaze. Submissive. Non-threatening. "So I can't let you leave, but why don't you put her down and we'll talk about this."

"Talk?" Alan roared. "Is that how you convinced her to stay? Always telling her you'd talk about it?"

Convinced her to stay? This guy really had it in his head that Tanner was the worst kind of man. His heart hammered in his chest and he fought every instinct in his body that told him to kill as he carried on with his steady tone. "I know what you think of me, Alan, but I've never convinced her to do anything. You love Azrael as much as I do, right?" The question made his stomach lurch. "You know her as well as I do?"

"Better than you."

"Then you know she can't be convinced to do anything she doesn't want to do. So why don't you put her down and step away." Just fucking put her down. "We don't even have to get police involved."

"Let's get the police involved! They'll lock you away. She has spousal abuse written all over her!"

Tanner felt his composure crumble. Just a little. This was a fucking mistake. A moment of violence they'd both participated in, and would never again repeat. Tanner would never in a million years abuse his wife. The accusation pulled fury into his chest. His hands curled into fists beside his head.

Something in Alan's eyes lit up. He held Azrael tighter. "Is that it? She talks back and you get mad, so you beat her, don't you?"

No, but he'd like to hit Alan. But Azrael... he wouldn't risk Azrael's safety. Tanner pressed his teeth together and growled through them, "I don't."

"Don't lie to me!" He was fucking unhinged.

Azrael whimpered and her arm moved. She raised her head a little and looked at Tanner. Her vision was still terribly unfocused, if the way she squinted at him was any indication, but any movement at all was a good sign.

"It's okay," Alan cooed over her, "it's almost over, you'll be safe soon."

"She's safe with me." The words were out before Tanner could stop them.

"Look at her!" He was yelling again. "Look what you've done to her!"

The last of Tanner's composure fell away to nothing. Submission had never looked good on him anyway. He dropped his arms and faced Alan head-on. "Alan, when I left this room my wife was conscious and happy." He took a couple steps towards them, further into the room. Away from the door and his only escape. Didn't matter, he wouldn't be leaving without Az anyway. "You look at her. Look what you've done to her."

Alan huffed and his eyes widened. Fury wasn't the right word for his expression. Hunger might have been.

Azrael kicked gently, her eyes still locked on Tanner.

"Last chance." Tanner spoke to the threat in the room, but watched his wife. Baby, I need you to keep being strong. He watched determination settle into her dainty features. "Put her down. I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"Someone's already hurt!" Alan jostled Azrael. Her lip twitched in a snarl. "I'm going to get you locked up for this, you beast."

Heat pooled behind his eyes and power rushed through his veins. Secrets be damned, he let - no - willed his eyes to flood their lupine gold.

Alan dropped Azrael. She landed hard at their feet. Tanner only hoped she had the strength to crawl to safety. She rolled onto her hands and knees to pull herself out from between them. Azrael, forgive me. Fangs pushed against his lips and the tight, burning pain of nails growing to claws radiated through his fingers.

He heard the click of the gun's hammer before he saw it.