The Stars That Night {5}

Start from the beginning

                "You're luck you're cute," I said to Michigan, who barked happily in response.

                "Are you ready to go?" mom asked dad.

                "Yea, I put my tool box in the back of the car in case your mother needs anything fixed while we're there," dad said, checking the time. "Garrett, let us know if you're coming home tonight or staying at Akira's."

                "Just assume I'm staying there. Have fun getting nagged by grandma," I said.

                "Come on, Michigan. Car ride!" mom said, which earned excited barking and jumping from Michigan as she hooked his leash on. "We'll see you later, Garrett. I have my phone on me, so just give me a call if you do get mugged or stabbed."

                "Always looking out for me. Thanks mom," I said, and waved to my parents as they left the house with Michigan.

                I checked the time and got up, heading upstairs to throw real clothes on. I'd grab Michigan's food, get some snacks for tonight, and head home to grab my stuff before going to Akira's.

                I changed and grabbed the car keys, heading outside. I paused for a moment in the driveway, tipping my face up towards the sun. There was a light breeze to combat the heat, and it was beautiful out. God, I loved the summer. Winter was great, because I liked to snowboard and go snowshoeing with my parents, but nothing beat a nice summer day.

                I got in the car and rolled the window down, playing my music and letting the wind push my hair around as I drove towards the south side. If this breeze kept up into the night, it would be perfect weather for an outdoor movie and a bonfire.

                It took me about twenty minutes to reach the pet store, and the shift of good side to bad side of the city was evident. Still, the plaza was comfortably busy, so I got out, made sure my car was locked, and headed into the pet store.

                It took all my damn willpower not to go to the back of the pet store to look at all the cats and birds and other cute animals. My mom would kill me if I impulse bought a pet when I was just supposed to be getting food.

                Thankfully, Michigan's food was a fair distance from the live animals, so I grabbed it and scurried my way to the front. I paid and left the store, looking around the plaza.

                There was a Dollar Store in the plaza, so I made my way there. I'd grab snacks, and make my way back home.

                The Dollar Store was air conditioned, the cold air making me shiver a little as I stepped inside. It was fairly quiet, which I was thankful for. I didn't want to deal with bumping into people every other step.

                Making my way to the snack aisle, I looked around. We'd definitely want some chips, maybe even stuff for smores.

                "-ran into them. No, I was just stopping by the store. Ain't me who started it."

                If the voice wasn't familiar enough, the poor grammar would've given it away. I went to the end of the aisle and peeked into the next one, seeing Silas with his back turned and a cellphone up to his ear. He was looking at the little travel packs of tissues, situating his cell phone between his shoulder and his ear so he could have both his hands free to check his wallet.

                "Yea, well, I'll be running late, I guess. Told Ray I'd take the bus back home, but I missed it. I'll catch the next one if they'll piss off," he said, sounding mildly annoyed.