solitude

Aden the vampire had lived alone with his servant Victor, a low-class Hernof demon, for over 300 years now. He had long since tired of mortal affairs, and he no longer even fed on them. There was a slaughter house for cattle quite near to his house, so he sent Victor there often for his meals.

No one questioned Victor's trips, nor did they make the mistake of asking too much money for the blood. Everyone knew that a vampire lived in the house at the bottom of the hill and that Victor was his demon servant. Aden owned the hill and some of the surrounding land. It had been in his family for generations, and so had his vast wealth. No one, not even he, knew how it was acquired.

He preferred for all his neighbors to leave him alone. Back in a more pagan time, many of the towns problems had been blamed on him, the vampire, and they attempted to destroy him. They quickly learned that he was much too powerful to be destroyed by the likes of them, and quickly learned that it was better to leave him be.

"Excuse me sir, can you direct me to the Vega house?" a girl shyly asked the conductor at the station.

He looked slightly afraid and said, "Sure, but do you really want to go there?"

"Yes. I've been on the train all night to get here. I'm supposed to stay at the Vega house while I go to highschool here." the girl replied.

The conductor looked shocked and said, "Well, I'll give you directions, but I'll need your name in case there's a police investigation."

"Police investigation? About what?" the girl wondered, sounding surprised. "Okay, well my name is Lily."

"Alright Lily, I'll write the directions down for you." the conductor said nicely. He did, then gave her the piece of paper.

"Thank you very much." Lily told him with a smile and a bow. She walked down the street.

"What's a nice girl like her doing mixed up with him?" the conductor asked himself.

For the first time in a decade or so, there was a knock on Aden's front door. His demon servant came into the room and Aden said, "Victor, go see who's at the door. Tell me who they are before you answer it."

The Hernof demon went to the door and looked through the peephole. He saw a young girl standing on the porch gazing about the yard. She had long sleek black hair, curious green eyes, and pale white skin. She was wearing a black dress that was the nearby highschool's uniform. She looked like a doll come to life.

Victor went back to his master's study and announced, "A young girl, wearing the highschool's uniform. She has a suitcase and a backpack with her."

"What the hell is she doing here?" Aden wondered. He got up himself and went to the front door. He opened it to see her hand in the air, poised to knock.

"Why are you here?" Aden asked harshly. The girl recoiled.

"Um, please sir, I was sent here by the conductor at the train station. Is this the Vega house where my uncle Marty lives?" she asked quietly.

"This is the Vega house but there is no Monty or whoever here." Aden replied. He was examining her as she spoke and saw that she had a large bruise marring her otherwise beautiful face.

"Well, this is where I was told I would stay. Do you think that you could maybe let me stay?" she wondered, drawing back a little in fear. She had been examining him as well. His hair was long and pulled back into a ponytail, and white like fresh snow, and his skin was as pale as hers was. His eyes were a cold steely gray.

"No. There have been no guests at this house for over three centuries and I see no reason to take people in now. You may live in my yard if you wish however." Aden said in what he considered to be a generous voice.